MTB bike weight

AMid

So, I returned to racing about 18 months ago after many moons of just riding and training for enjoyment.

I am racing on a new weapon which comes in at 6.5kg's and out of the handful of races I did, I have a handful of podiums, so I will agree with that. 

But, my training methods have changed, my race preparation and selection has changed to suit my talents more, and my body weight has increased (by conscious decision - and said training changes) by about 2.5 kg's from my prior racing days. 

So which is the winner? The bike or the training?

(Also, I'm talking road here, but weight is weight, right?)

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say about body weight. I used to race (a long time ago) at 80kg, I am now just north of 100kg. Sure, body weight is going to save you significant amounts of time if you look at it from a racing context. It is also drastically going to impact how much you enjoy riding.

But, bike weight is significant for reasons other than time on a Strava segment or race for anyone, regardless of whether they are amateur or pro. I'm not going to advocate for big guys buying lightweight bikes, actually quite the opposite - but the weight does make a difference in they way a bike rides. I have a carbon XC bike that is sub 12kg, and I have an enduro bike that is around 16kg - and that 4kg makes a significant difference even to a big guy (non-withstanding geo, component choice, etc).

Anyway, I'm not necessarily arguing with you, I just want to raise the point that weight matters in more ways than just speed/time. And that for a heavy guy, an ultra lightweight bike may not be such a good thing.

So when I started to cycle I was 147kg and 192cm in length so quite a big fattie

HT is the way to go. Alu is the way to go. You can get pretty much any bike as long as it has heavy duty wheels. I back then bought Mavic Crossrides for R3000 new to put on my Titan Expert that subsequently transfered to my Scott and my Merida and my Rocky I have today. 

After 3 years down to 115kg and can tell you the biggest win was propper wheels that dont break. Had Fulcrums as I got lighter and then now running DT Swiss X1700 Spline 2 for the past 2 years and wheels probably makes the biggst difference out of any upgrade. 

The lighter the wheels the quicker you accelerate so up down up down on a MTB its makes a diffirence. Heavy wheels are more durable and have a nice enertia when you get up to speed. Up down efforts you can feel the suffer start quite quick.

What I found though is that "poephol" on the seats weight is a much bigger problem than the weight of the bike. Losing 5kg on the "poephol" on the seat is a lot cheaper than losing 1kg on a bike too and makes a lasting difirence.

my 2c

Bike weight does make a difference But 1.5kg saving on a road bike from 8kg down to 6.5kg is a bigger saving in weight than for a MTB from 13kg to 11.5 kg (bare with me this isn't ANC maths.....)

For a 80Kg rider the the all up weight on the road bike will be 88kg vs 86.5 or a 1.7% saving

On the MTB its a 93kg vs 91.5kg or a 1.6% saving.

Overall its probably immaterial so within the context of a a bigger heavier rider the weight savings is a small change and there are more gains to be achieved in increasing power. Your bikes weight is the least of your worries

The lighter the rider is the more important bike weight should be to that rider.

The heavier the rider, the more important power output should be

Bike weight does make a difference But 1.5kg saving on a road bike from 8kg down to 6.5kg is a bigger saving in weight than for a MTB from 13kg to 11.5 kg (bare with me this isn't ANC maths.....)

For a 80Kg rider the the all up weight on the road bike will be 88kg vs 86.5 or a 1.7% saving

On the MTB its a 93kg vs 91.5kg or a 1.6% saving.

Overall its probably immaterial so within the context of a a bigger heavier rider the weight savings is a small change and there are more gains to be achieved in increasing power. Your bikes weight is the least of your worries

The lighter the rider is the more important bike weight should be to that rider.

The heavier the rider, the more important power output should be

100% I am 62kg's