Shimano SLX M7100 Shifting - Cable Pull Problem

gemmerbal

I’m at my wits end. Bought the SLX 7100 groupset yesterday and installed it. I’ve been struggling since then to get the shifting to operate properly: with the cable disconnected from the derailleur there is 11 pulls available on the shifter, but when I connect the cable, set the limit screws and the b-tension the shifting just doesn't function properly: it takes only 8 pulls/releases to cover the entire 12 gears of the cassette.

Any ideas Hubbers?

Look I'm just an armchair adviser here, but normally that means too much cable tension.

Assuming your hanger is straight, and your limits have been sent correctly already, then normally too much tension on the cable will hit the upper limit before the clicks are done.

Normally, you should set the tension set screw two turn out, then bolt cable on. This gives you the freedom to loosen it if you set it too tight on bolt up. Also make sure you're using the right cable routing on the derailer itself as this can also cause issues, especially on a fresh, unknown install. Check your manuals and make sure everything matches 100%.

No its not the cable tension: after 8 shifts the derailleur cannot shift any further as it clashes with itself. And the cable tension is very loose in the top gear position to start with. Also using the cable housing that came with the shifter/derailleur.

Look I'm just an armchair adviser here, but normally that means too much cable tension.

Assuming your hanger is straight, and your limits have been sent correctly already, then normally too much tension on the cable will hit the upper limit before the clicks are done.

Normally, you should set the tension set screw two turn out, then bolt cable on. This gives you the freedom to loosen it if you set it too tight on bolt up. Also make sure you're using the right cable routing on the derailer itself as this can also cause issues, especially on a fresh, unknown install. Check your manuals and make sure everything matches 100%.

Edited by gemmerbal

You’ve routed the cable wrong at the derailleur tightening but. I recently did this and it effects the pull. Post a picture of where you have tightened the cable on the derailleur side?

Sorry i just posted a pic before you replied. Any thoughts?

You’ve routed the cable wrong at the derailleur tightening but. I recently did this and it effects the pull. Post a picture of where you have tightened the cable on the derailleur side?

Put the cable in from the other side, that will fix it.

Interesting.

Also thought the cable was too tight.

Always good to learn something

Interesting.

Also thought the cable was too tight.

Always good to learn something

Assuming everything else was right to start with... That routing is not at all right and definitely the problem...

Yes the cable sits at a funny angle that way, almost rubbing agains the cable end stop, as you said, thats kind of why i ended up installing it the way i did. Jis i really appreciate your input!!!

How are you enjoying the SLX?

I went through this frustration myself a week ago. Their design isn’t the greatest, looks like it’s meant to to the way you had it but it isn’t.

Glad you sorted!

Yes the cable sits at a funny angle that way, almost rubbing agains the cable end stop, as you said, thats kind of why i ended up installing it the way i did. Jis i really appreciate your input!!!

How are you enjoying the SLX?

I was building XTR on to my old bike for sale - never rode it. I’m not a shimano fan, so I ride SRAM. Shifting seemed pretty crisp when I set up the bike though.