Norco fluid fs3 2020 or Spez Stumpjumper ST 2019

MajG

Nice upgrade on that brakes, were you having issues with brake fade or just not fast enough braking?

FS3 is 1 x 11 right?

Will the oval really help much? Or is it just hype?

1x12,

the oval supposed helps with efficiency and the oval itself helps with chainring to ground clearance.   But I am hoping there is a chainring I can slot in here that makes the circumnference larger (more teeth for longer legs up front) but keeps clearance to ground as it is now.

Haven't tried oval and not interested in oval is better because oval, but if anyone here can tell me why oval is better and recommend something ill go for it.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I did not like the Oval chain ring, but it is really dependent on the person, one thing you must remember with the oval and ground clearance is that it will change as you pedal, for example a 34t oval will have the ground clearance of a 32t round ring at one point but a 36t at another point

I found that the oval ring made the bike feel jerky at higher cadence and I didn't like that, the rest of the time I didn't feel any notable difference.

Try find out what the BCD of your cranks is and order a chain ring from Rapide, they are excellent quality and really well priced, and Wayne has round and oval rings available

Personally, I did not like the Oval chain ring, but it is really dependent on the person, one thing you must remember with the oval and ground clearance is that it will change as you pedal, for example a 34t oval will have the ground clearance of a 32t round ring at one point but a 36t at another point

I found that the oval ring made the bike feel jerky at higher cadence and I didn't like that, the rest of the time I didn't feel any notable difference.

Try find out what the BCD of your cranks is and order a chain ring from Rapide, they are excellent quality and really well priced, and Wayne has round and oval rings available

This is the sauce I was after, I will check out Rapide their stuff is well priced for the quality so yeah.  That jerky feeling almost like bobbing?  Yeah that would be a firm NO from me id rather stick with a round chainring if that is the case.

The chainring would probably be 100% if it was bike park or trail only but I am planning to do the Karroo to Coast with this bike and there are some level stretches on that, also I prefer to train on my full sus from time to time too and I don't carry it places on my rack, I ride to the bush and back from it, so I do a lot of commuting type riding along with the technical stuff out in the bush so this is the main reason for wanting longer legs, I hate that this bike feels slow in comparison to my 3x10 hardtail on the ride back home every time.

Agree the fluid 1x12 does feel sluggish, i feel that too on way home from the trails.

Only option is bigger chainring right to remedy this?

Let me know the results or feel of the other chainring when you eventually pull the trigger to buy.

I would welcome this change too

Not really a bobbing feeling, more like a lunging feeling, some people don't get that [emoji2369]

Boet I dont see spec on offset anywhere.

The ring just says #sram eagle tech 30t direct mount.

Hi guys, anyone here have a norco revolver, fs2 or fs1, thoughts? They look amazing, prices dont seem that out of line either? 

Hi guys, anyone here have a norco revolver, fs2 or fs1, thoughts? They look amazing, prices dont seem that out of line either? 

I been riding the fluid FS1 now for few weeks, can say it has given me stupid confidence to point where I need to tell myself to hold bike bynearly seeing my gat few time on a downhill.

Only thing I would say is change rear tyre to 2.4 tyre, something abit more fast rolling, as it does feel sluggish on enroute to the trails via tar roads and not the fastest up, but traction seems decent even without lockout.

Bike is heavy at 15kgs - but they not meant to be the lightest right

I have only seen good reviews on the revolver besides it not being the lightest and few people commented on the chainring being a 32T chainring is not ideal for XC.

Which revolver are you keen on, FS1 100 or the FS 1 120 that comes with the bigger travel SID fork , think its 120mm

Dont see many revolvers out on the roads/trails though

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

So been riding the FS1 down most of cape town trails.

Uphill she aint fast, she is heavy but onpar witj weight of a stumpjumper.

Got the opportunity to test ride a stumpjumper also, and man am i happy with my fs1.

ST feels abit twitchy, brake fade is evident.

Does feel slightly lighter/nimble than the fs1.

Think its down to brand n comfort, but iv been killing my own PR's on the fs1 tho....so im happy chappy.

Now to figure out whose best to service her in the southern suburbs

Crown

Bridge

Olympic

Are my closest options