Fitting Thule ProRide to a roofrack

thehoof

How do you get it up there?

I don't have a canopy and have my racks just above my load bed and low trees, certain underground parking lots are NO GO. Even my own garage!!!!! I have to fit and remove with the bakkie out the garage.

I'm 1.9m, but yes, it's a bit of a challenge.

I usually carry bikes with removed wheels, so this is just another bike for me...

Have printed a sign that I'll use on the rear-view mirror whenever I carry anything on the roof

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be careful with lower bridges as well, my racks are just over the bed of my bakkie and I can't go through drive thru's when my bike is on the back

Is this a bad thing?

I usually carry bikes with removed wheels, so this is just another bike for me...

Have printed a sign that I'll use on the rear-view mirror whenever I carry anything on the roof

Cool man. Keen to see a picture with the conqueror behind as well. Although then you can just put the bikes inside it?

I would be careful with lower bridges as well, my racks are just over the bed of my bakkie and I can't go through drive thru's when my bike is on the back

for this reason i left the van with the normal rear bike rack , but fitted these top racks onto the sedan - safer or less risk of knocking into something

Cool man. Keen to see a picture with the conqueror behind as well. Although then you can just put the bikes inside it?

securing them inside is an issue, as well as space... quite a bit goes inside

When I had the Thule racks on the RAV4 I added the Thule key to the garage remote.

1) HAVE TO drive out the garage to fit the bikes

2) Lock the bikes ... (garage remote attached to the key)

3) Place the key and remote in the cubbyhole ....  cant reach the remote and open the garage door out of habit ...

With the bike shadow dancing around the car your are actually surprisingly aware of the bike on the roof.  :thumbup:

Had a few occasions where I had to get out of the car and check for height clearance ....  Mostly you are safe where ever trucks can drive.  In residential areas trees often hang a LOT lower and you will encounter branch strikes ....

Fuel consumption, especially into a head wind, takes a nose dive !!  :whistling:

Your bike does not attract dust like it does on the platform racks behind the vehicle.  :thumbup:

Edited by ChrisF

• 1 month later...

You'll battle... Even fitting a 24" was a problem.

Jip ....

Just put the balance bike in the boot

Hi, anyone who mounted a kids balance bike on pro ride 598? Seems possible?

I normally use a bunjy cord and tie the balance bike to one of the bigger ones. Locked, loaded and ready to go.