Shimano Spacer for XTR CS-M9100 Cassette

TheoG

Hi All

I got this cassette in new condition from a fellow hubber.  Unfortunately the plastic spacer was not included.

My cassette is creaking like hell under load while climbing in the easy gears, very annoying on a bike that is otherwise considered as one of the most quite around.

Anyone know where I can get one of these spacers?  I'm tempted to make one up but it is tricky with all the micro-spline cut outs and it is very small and dainty.  If I can get a template maybe ....

Thanks

Hi All

I got this cassette in new condition from a fellow hubber.  Unfortunately the plastic spacer was not included.

My cassette is creaking like hell under load while climbing in the easy gears, very annoying on a bike that is otherwise considered as one of the most quite around.

Anyone know where I can get one of these spacers?  I'm tempted to make one up but it is tricky with all the micro-spline cut outs and it is very small and dainty.  If I can get a template maybe ....

Thanks

At 0.15mm id get a piece of plastic and make one. Its purpose is just to take up manufacturing tolerances.

post-64325-0-09651900-1608883364_thumb.jpeg

If you dont come right ive got a spare one you can have.

Thanks, mar jys 'n bietjie vêr van my af, hopelik werk my DYI fix.

I had an xtr cassette which creaked like mad. Turned out to be loose rivets...

Interesting!  That is more or less the noise I'm hearing, did you manage to fix it somehow?

No

If it was bought new, they should warranty it

If not, buy an XT replacement

The XTR cassettes are too light (fragile) for anyone but a sponsored pro athlete

No

If it was bought new, they should warranty it

If not, buy an XT replacement

The XTR cassettes are too light (fragile) for anyone but a sponsored pro athlete

Thanks, I got mine for a bargain, not willing to pay full price on it EVER.

I will keep using it until its worn and try to ignore the noise.  Will rather replace with a Garbaruk cassette when the time come, it is lighter and more durable since its machined from one peace of high quality steel, only the one last cog is Al.

I reproduced the creaking while holding the brakes and putting torque on the cranks.

Then dosed the rivets on the Al cogs with thin oil and repeat, it's now quite.  Very likely to be temporary solution.

So definitely the rivets causing this issue.  It is disappointing to say the least, I expected more from XTR (and Shimano), maybe I need to start accepting it is Shitmano after all ...   :wacko:

It will probably still work fine with the noise, its just extremely irritating.  I don't want my bike to sound like its going to break any second while I'm pedaling my gat af on an uphill.

Since I DYI'd the spacer and lubed rivets on the Al rings, the cassette is not creaking at all for more than a 100 km, hope it will keep going a bit longer.

I can live with it if only need to lube now and again.