Bike insurance

HelloVelo

23 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

My experience was otherwise.

It appeared that they want to do their underwriting when I wanted to claim, forget the fact that I was paying premiums for ages.

Communication was poor and they had the nerve to tell me my bike value was too high, only for me point out certain specs (eg. Wheels) that RAW overlooked.

Also tried to avoid replacing my shifters as they claimed the damage was due to wear and tear and not related to the incident.

Wow. Literally had the opposite experience. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/14/2022 at 8:57 AM, Jono said:

What did you have to do to claim for a cracked rim, how did they assess? 

Submitted the claim via the app with the story of what happened. Was contacted to let me know that they got the claim and that RAW will contact me. They contacted me and asked what happened etc. RAW then wanted photos of the wheel. Claim was approved after I sent them a quote from the manufacturer to repair the wheel. 

49 minutes ago, M L said:

Submitted the claim via the app with the story of what happened. Was contacted to let me know that they got the claim and that RAW will contact me. They contacted me and asked what happened etc. RAW then wanted photos of the wheel. Claim was approved after I sent them a quote from the manufacturer to repair the wheel. 

Sounds pretty straightforward. Did they replace the rim or repair the rim? 

On 4/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, Jono said:

Sounds pretty straightforward. Did they replace the rim or repair the rim? 

Paid out for a replacement. Rim, spokes, nipples and labour. So complete rebuild of the wheel. 

Edited by M L

1 hour ago, Dorpie said:

Do any of you insure your riding accessories (ie. Shoes, helmet, GPS ECT)?

Crash badly enough or have all those items stolen and you could be in for a significant loss ...

53 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Crash badly enough or have all those items stolen and you could be in for a significant loss ...

This is my thinking and why I want to look into adding it to my policy.

Having been in the industry for over 30 years, I agree with comments that insurance can be confusing and somewhat opaque at times. And having just transitioned into the role of insurance broker, naturally totally agree with those who recommend using one rather than going direct! But in all seriousness, that's always been my view, as generally with a broker you get personalized service and an outsiders objective opinion regarding the risks you carry, who can advise on your risk universe holistically. And going direct doesn't really save on premium as those insurers use the saving of broker commission to spend on advertising.

But since this is a bike specific topic, always insure your bike for replacement as new value under the all risks section; keep photos of your bike and invoices ideally too; include the words ...xyz bicycle AND ALL ACCESSORIES when describing the item under all risks, not forgetting to include the value of such accessories in your calculated sum insured (this can cater for everything on your bike); ensure you have an unspecified all risks item with a high enough sum insured that is 4x higher that the max value of a single item, say your Garmin watch, which will cover your Fox clothing, helmet, noting that usually some items like cellphones are specifically excluded from unspecified all risks I.e., you need to insure them specifically. 

If you do the above you'll have cover in just about every scenario, home and away, theft or accidental damage etc. Just remember to check on rave specific cover as I've seen some insurers want to exclude or charge higher premium/excess.

Generally better to include your bikes under home and car policy as most insurers like the spread of risk and will discount their stand-alone premiums accordingly. 

4 hours ago, Dorpie said:

Do any of you insure your riding accessories (ie. Shoes, helmet, GPS ECT)?

At Santam mine is insured under "Wearables".  You specify a cover amount, and this is added to your policy.

I can claim for my watch and clothing.

The Garmin on th handlebars are not covered under this approach, nor the toolbag ....

I am okay with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Claiming accessories is exactly the problem I am having. I have been with Outsurance for several years and never have I had an issue, specifically wrt the roadside assistance which has saved me on more than one occasion.

However, I had a silly fall off the bike recently, slipped while collecting water from a waterfall and smashed my phone and helmet (feet slipped and fell dead on my backside, if it wasnt for my helmet I’d be in serious trouble). Ekoï doesnt have a crash replacement policy and I tried to claim through Outsurance under the Out and About section. I was informed that items such as helmets, sunglasses and anything over R1500 in value should be specified and thus I cannot claim for my helmet and sunglasses. Fortunately my phone is specified so that is being taken care of. 

The latest annual policy update also indicates that as of June all claims relating to loadshedding will carry an excess of R4500 which seems rather OTT. Their statement relating to this is that they are trying to minimise the effect on monthly payments. Since my TV also failed last week because of a load spike, I am now also in the process of claiming a tv before the new policy takes effect. Under the current schedule my excess is only R600 odd. 

The timely discovery of this thread has been invaluable. All of this has lead me to contact a broker (friend of a friend) to see if I cannot get a better deal specifically suited to my needs. 

✌️

Edited by gemmerbal

• 8 months later...

Question to the knowledgeable people working with insurance or just the view of Hubbers.

Can an insurance company change the basic excess on items without your knowledge?

I had a recent claim and was under the impression that my basic excess on the item claimed for was lower. Had a look at all my correspondence and did not see any communication notifying me that there was changes made to my policy.

7 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Question to the knowledgeable people working with insurance or just the view of Hubbers.

Can an insurance company change the basic excess on items without your knowledge?

I had a recent claim and was under the impression that my basic excess on the item claimed for was lower. Had a look at all my correspondence and did not see any communication notifying me that there was changes made to my policy.

Are you sure about what your policy states? For bikes, my excess is based on the value of the claim - there's a minimum amount and 5% of claim, whichever is greater.

7 minutes ago, Adr!@n said:

Are you sure about what your policy states? For bikes, my excess is based on the value of the claim - there's a minimum amount and 5% of claim, whichever is greater.

My Policy initially stated minimum of R500 or 5% of claim. Recently changed without my knowledge to minimum R1250 or 5% of claim.

9 minutes ago, JJDT said:

My Policy initially stated minimum of R500 or 5% of claim. Recently changed without my knowledge to minimum R1250 or 5% of claim.

King Price. Mine is the same, interesting. I've only had one claim that was above the minimum, so I never paid attention to that.