Wartburg 45km classic

Jeorje

Doing my first wartburg race as a prep for the berg 100 next month,looks like a bit of elevation. First mtb event ...any advice? What's the average time for middle pack to finish? 

You should be able to do it easily under three hours. My first race was 2h 50m and second was 2h 16m.

Please be aware that there are not many chances to rest on the downhills. Most are fairly technical or fast. Some great sections through the forests - fast and twisty (I clipped a tree and ended up eating the dirt) also dropped the chain once so installed a chain guide after that. Suggested bike is a dual suspension unless you're good on a hardtail.

Heat is one of the biggest factors - Mid feb and temperatures will probably climb into the low 30's...

Edited by RobbyB
spelling

4 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

OK am lost unless I've gone back a year lol? 

image.png

Your sign says 15 Feb 2020. This years race is 12 Feb 2022...

Just now, RobbyB said:

Your sign says 15 Feb 2020. This years race is 12 Feb 2022...

Wish I was more prepared would have come down tomorrow Ride safe  and enjoy 

2 hours ago, RobbyB said:

Heat is one of the biggest factors - Mid feb and temperatures will probably climb into the low 30's...

Low 30's is a cool day in the Boland.

Superb race though. Absolutely loved it as a kid. That is prime MTB country👌

Watch out for that long demon downhill on a gravel road with a few drainage cross humps; about 15km in maybe. It's claimed a victim or two in its time.

Hi, are the routes available for download to Garmin? Please share links if they are available. 

13 hours ago, Jeorje said:

What tyre pressure would you run ?

Difficult to say but mainly depending on your tyre size, rim width and overall weight of rider and bike. A 2.25 tyre needs to be reasonably firm but certainly not hard. Front softer than rear as rear carries most of the weight and takes most of the hard knocks. My Giant pumps reads 1.5 bar for my front wheel (not sure of its accuracy - I'm also lightweight at 68kgs)

1 hour ago, Dkm said:

Hi, are the routes available for download to Garmin? Please share links if they are available. 

Only got route on Strava...

2 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Watch out for that long demon downhill on a gravel road with a few drainage cross humps; about 15km in maybe. It's claimed a victim or two in its time.

That hill got me in 2013.  My whole right-hand side was scraped, and i I couldn't straighten my arm for 3 months.  I also broke a saddle that was only 6 weeks old