Gravel bike on the (mostly) road – what tyres?

Jacobus Louw

So many recommendations here, but let me add another. If you hardly ever ride 'gravel', just get a set of good puncture proof road tyres. The best out there in my opinion are the Pirelli Cinturatos. They go up to 35c, which will be perfect for a bit of off roading, and they are going to be a good few percent faster on your road rides. Unless you really ride a lot of gravel there's no need to hamstring your road performance. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For road use running Panaracer Gravelking tlc 32 in rear. (act width 35mm on Winspace Grapid rim, 3.5 -4 bar max, 80kg). Front Schwalbe G one speed tle 30mm (33 wide). Also have a wheelset with Maxxis 50 ramblers (can't  get them here.) 49mm wide.these are golden for gravel use. Waiting for a pair of 42 Spez Pathfinders to mount on the grapids for swartberg 100.all above tubeless of course.

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

I have 50c Sk+ on my bike and i keep up just fine. I find they have acceptable road feel 

Thats good news ... about to fit these 👍

I ride Panaracer Gravelking Slick TLC's (Folding Tire - 40-622 / 700x38C). According to Bicycle Rolling Resistance it is the best rolling 40mm slick available.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews/panaracer-gravel-king

They're probably not the most puncture resistant tires I've ever used, but from my experience the main problem is glass. Unlike a tubed tire, where you have to puncture both the casing and the tube on a tubeless tire if you puncture the casing you end up with a lot of sealant everywhere. However, you can run them with a tube and more importantly for normal gravel I've never had a problem.

The only issue is that for some reason they're not locally available and I have to import them. 

Panaracer manufacture similar tires for a few other brands (e.g. Rene Herse), but these are significantly cheaper than any of those.

56 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

I ride Panaracer Gravelking Slick TLC's (Folding Tire - 40-622 / 700x38C). According to Bicycle Rolling Resistance it is the best rolling 40mm slick available.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews/panaracer-gravel-king

They're probably not the most puncture resistant tires I've ever used, but from my experience the main problem is glass. Unlike a tubed tire, where you have to puncture both the casing and the tube on a tubeless tire if you puncture the casing you end up with a lot of sealant everywhere. However, you can run them with a tube and more importantly for normal gravel I've never had a problem.

The only issue is that for some reason they're not locally available and I have to import them. 

Panaracer manufacture similar tires for a few other brands (e.g. Rene Herse), but these are significantly cheaper than any of those.

I was looking at the Panaracer Gravelking Slicks at Evobikes .... but they only had the very narrow size ....

Good, or is that sad, to know why they did not have it in a much wider size .... for my riding I would LOVE that slick, but still want the volume of a 50 or 45.

Now to get those 50s popped .... already done the second layer of tape .... family time now, so will play again later tonight.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I was looking at the Panaracer Gravelking Slicks at Evobikes .... but they only had the very narrow size ....

Good, or is that sad, to know why they did not have it in a much wider size .... for my riding I would LOVE that slick, but still want the volume of a 50 or 45.

Now to get those 50s popped .... already done the second layer of tape .... family time now, so will play again later tonight.

they took a bit of fidgeting on my wheels too. They were tight on my hope 20Five's and wanted to sit in the channel of the rim. Got them there eventually with more tape and soap.

52 minutes ago, MORNE said:

they took a bit of fidgeting on my wheels too. They were tight on my hope 20Five's and wanted to sit in the channel of the rim. Got them there eventually with more tape and soap.

Exact same here .... sitting in the channel ....

Extra tape and soap did the trick.

It looks GOOD 😁

I'd just like to thank everyone for your responses, advice, and snippets of personal experience. 

I've decided to give the Spez Roubaix tekkies a go, as my riding happens mostly on the road these days. I will keep my Panaracers for when I know I'm going to do more serious gravel.

Thanks again for every response!

Cheers 

Jakes

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I agree, also for my riding wider is definitely better, but on the road I find that the 38mm one works really well (40mm in practice.) It's really very comfortable but if you want to go wider, Rene Herse (made 100% by Panaracer) make them in 44mm, 48mm and 55mm. The only 2 issues are that you'll have to import them and they are significantly more expensive that the normal Panaracer's.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/product-category/components/tires/700c/

I have been riding gravel and road on my Momsen R355 for a few years now, for me the best tyres are WTB...........many kilometres with zero punctures !

Feedback time - Panaracer Gravelking SK+ 50mm tanwall

As I use this bike 99,9% of the time on tar I was looking for 50mm slicks ... ended up buying these tires with its row of small studs.

Did my first 67km ride with it today.  Even did a decent stint on the gravel next to the tar, just to test it out ....

My friend was on his MTB.

On level roads the bike feels good.  Very silent running tyres.

On downhills I would free-wheel and simply outrun my friend that was pedalling !!  On the sections where I was behind him I had to use the brakes, while he was pedalling.  These are some very fast rolling tyres :clap:

Riding on the gravel, deliberately going over small pebbles the ride was VERY smooth.

Very happy customer :thumbup:

Big thanks to Prince Albert Cycles for the off air feedback about these excellent tyres.