Europe off the beaten track 6 day adventure tour

Reinhardt56

First of all I'll introduce myself, I'm Reinhardt van der Merwe and I like to MTB, Moto Enduro, and general active lifestyle and many more!!

Me and my Wife will be attending a conference in Cefalu in July, but would like to do a 7 day point to point tour in Europe. We fly Turkish, so maybe do a Turkish tour just before leaving.

Question : maybe some of you know some of you know what is one of those bucket list rides??

What areas to recommend? any other advice?

July will be HOT! so maybe keep that in mind. We want to arrange someone to travel our bags, so little as possible luggage on bikes.

Groete uit Swellendam

13 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

This is on my things that I dream about list:

https://www.mountainbikeworldwide.com/mtb-tours/slovenia

2 - 9 July, 8 places available...

edit: date availability 

That looks pretty damned amazing. $3350 per person feels like a LOT of money for a bike trip that excludes meals and bike rental tho. That's 100k if you're taking the Mrs. Sans flights, food and bikes. That puts it firmly on the no way in hell list for me.

@the OP. If you're flying turkish you are going to be paying $90 each way per bike so factor that into your costs. That additional cost plus the hassle of taking 2 gigantic bike boxes and lugging them around Europe make renting a real option. My wife and my last trip to Mallorca (it feels like a long time ago) we rented bikes and it made the whole trip so much better. Doing that allowed us to do the tourist thing in Paris on the way back which would have been impossible had we taken our own bikes.

Sorry all I can't resist. I'll just pop this in here as a thought. It's not point to point and it's not off the beaten track but if you're into moto and enduro..... You can message me or @capediver and we'll give you the lowdown. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

My other half and I looked into doing this as well. Cycle from the Atlantic to the Med along the canals.

https://en.francevelotourisme.com/cycle-route/canal-des-2-mers-by-bike-atlantic-mediterranean-sea

https://www.10adventures.com/tour/two-seas-canal-by-bike-atlantic-mediterranean/

WW 3 dependent we're currently planning a trip in late September early October to Nice to do a little road cycling and running along the Med.

Fly Turkish into Nice. The flight arrives in the morning and leaves late in the evening so that effectively gives you an extra day on the ground. Plus no Sandpit airlines.

We will airbnb. My wife likes to cook so we try to airbnb close to a market. When in Europe we try to integrate as best as possible so we kind of pick a spot and hang out there. It makes it cheaper too coz no rental cars.

The rough plan is to cycle, rest, run. Repeat. For about 9 days.

We'll rent bikes. We just take saddles, pedals and GPS's and fit those in the bike shop. We probably won't bother taking saddles this time.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Another option.....

Rent an RV. it won't be point to point but you can drive to a place. Do a ride. Return to the RV and repeat. You'd have to do a bit of planning yourself ITO ride routes, camping facilities etc. We looked at this for a possible trip to the Pyrenees but Covid.

You don't need a special license if the RV is under 3500kg. The site below isn't quite like airbnb and the owners typically ask for a safety deposit of around 1000 Euro in cash.

https://www.yescapa.com/motorhomes/33687/

**Disclaimer. I've not done this but it's something I've looked into.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

4 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

That looks pretty damned amazing. $3350 per person feels like a LOT of money for a bike trip that excludes meals and bike rental tho. That's 100k if you're taking the Mrs. Sans flights, food and bikes. That puts it firmly on the no way in hell list for me.

@the OP. If you're flying turkish you are going to be paying $90 each way per bike so factor that into your costs. That additional cost plus the hassle of taking 2 gigantic bike boxes and lugging them around Europe make renting a real option. My wife and my last trip to Mallorca (it feels like a long time ago) we rented bikes and it made the whole trip so much better. Doing that allowed us to do the tourist thing in Paris on the way back which would have been impossible had we taken our own bikes.

Sorry all I can't resist. I'll just pop this in here as a thought. It's not point to point and it's not off the beaten track but if you're into moto and enduro..... You can message me or @capediver and we'll give you the lowdown. 

Agreed on the price, it is a bit (ok, a lot) steep.  I just look at that scenery and those mountains and dream.  Go and have a look on the same site at the Norwegian Fjords trip, it looks to be absolutely awesome, but ja, only if I win the Powerball...

Grab a coffee and watch...:

I've just had a thought.

With some planning one could do a point to point thing organized by yourself using Uber Connect to get your gear to the next overnight stop. You'd obviously have to arrange it with the hotel/bnb up front and you'd have to do all of the route planning and bookings yourself. But the internet is awash with information.

I would plan a rough route. Starting in your city of arrival (Say Toulouse for example) Then plan a rough route that ends in a place where you could catch a small commuter flight or train back to your original point of departure. Then you start breaking it down into daily routes with overnight stops giving yourself plenty of time. I also like to buy regional maps of the place we're planning to go to. These are also easily sourced on the internet. You'd rent bikes coz bike bags are a massive headache to move around.

Then you sort out Uber Connect to lug your gear to the next stop every night.

Or you can pay someone $ to do all of that for you. Which is obviously preferable but will work out more expensive.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

46 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

a lot of amazing deals out there  - tour operators are pretty hungry for business after a shocking couple of years

Croatia springs to mind - stay on a boat where you are fed and ride to the next port daily carrying nothing

I'm actually doing the Croatian epic end of April, but thats not including my wife. This tour will be something else. It looks like Milan got some nice areas to go and visit as well, and I like the idea of Uber Connect!!

Thank you very much for very informative comments so far! Please add some more please!!

https://www.4islandsmtb.com/