[Event] Trans Elands MTB Marathon

Events Bot

Event Name: Trans Elands MTB Marathon
When: 04/06/2022
Where: Gamtoos Ferry Hotel, , Loerieheuwel, Loerieheuwel, Eastern Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

In 2021 we staged the 6th edition of the Trans Elands 160km “extreme” (“SA’s TOUGHEST 100 miler MTB marathon”), this despite the challenges associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown regulations. On the same day we also successfully staged the Trans Elands 60km and 30km MTB Marathons.

With our 6th anniversary in 2021, three riders (Ian Moore, Gary Poisat and Jan Du Plessis) received the distinguished “Lex’s Big 5” award for having completed FIVE Trans Elands “extreme” events, which means that to date a total of nine riders have reached this remarkable milestone! Will you be the next one …?

The 2022 Trans Elands 160km, 60km and 25km is scheduled for 4 June 2022.

The 160km “extreme” MTB marathon was founded by Lex Holmes, who sadly passed away on 31 December 2016. The great turnout of riders for the first five years of our event is evidence of firstly the influence that Lex has had over many years in mountain biking circles throughout the Eastern Cape and secondly the dedication and commitment of the new organising team to continue with and grow Lex’s legacy.

The 160km “extreme” with 3000m elevation gain is one of SA’s toughest one day mountain biking events. The event is a true test of a rider’s physical and mental capability, but with adequate preparation it is an achievable challenge. To finish this “bucket list” event within the 12 hour time limit leaves one with a sense of reward which can only be described by riders who have achieved this feat. The Trans Elands 160km is the ideal tester for regular MTB marathon riders, perhaps the reason why so many riders have been returning year after year to tackle this event. The 160km caters for solo riders and team entries (of 2, 3 or 4 riders per team).

The 60km MTB marathon race distance was added in 2017 with great success, and acts as a stepping stone for those who in future years would like to tackle the 160km. The 5-hour time limit allows for riders of varying capability to take part in and complete this 60km event.

Riders of the 60km route riders will experience the breath-taking scenery of the Gamtoos River Valley, Mondplaas cattle farms and the Kabeljous River Estuary. Riders who have ridden the pre-2020 route should be glad to hear that the new route (used from 2020) has about 200m less elevation gain. The 60km event caters for solo entries only.

The 25km MTB Marathon with less than 500m of elevation gain gives the whole family (RIDERS from 8 years and older) the opportunity to explore the beauty of the Gamtoos River Valley farmlands by MTB. The 25km event caters for solo entries only.

Go to Event Page.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think we are in for a treat weather wise, it's looking great. All the best to everyone tomorrow.

2 hours ago, bullet77 said:

I think we are in for a treat weather wise, it's looking great. All the best to everyone tomorrow.

Give it horns partner! I'll see you on the route, coffee in hand!