Ballito bike lane concept

Adrian Parkinson

I've been working on this concept for a bike and pedestrian-friendly intersection in Ballito. Attached is the latest version of the render as well as the original photo for those unfamiliar with the area.

Let me know what you think as well as any ideas on how to improve it further.

ballito drive.jpg

original.jpg

Do you have a plan view of the layout? The nice feature that stands out is the bike lane properly separated from the road. As for the crossing, my experience with this type of very wide intersection in Cape Town is that it comes down to traffic light timing. When you hit the button you want the green soonish, otherwise there is a great temptation to sneak over. Also, you need protection from left turning cars, who may not believe that they need to wait for non-motorised crossers. At some of Cape Town's intersections you can grow a beard while waiting for a green. The Bayside MyCiti bus station intersection is more or less criminal in this regard, forcing pedestrians to jaywalk in order to get to the bus in non-geological timescales. 

That looks like it could work. Narrowing of the roads slightly to accommodate the cycle lanes and keeping the pedestrians and bikes separated.

The only problem would be to get the local councils to agree on the expenditure whilst moping up after the floods. 

Contact some biking groups and get some signatures and this could roll out in other towns.

1 hour ago, CapSizer said:

Do you have a plan view of the layout?

I'd have to clean up my 3D scene a bit since I have everything laid out for this specific angle and don't include anything outside the camera's field of view.

1 hour ago, CapSizer said:

As for the crossing, my experience with this type of very wide intersection in Cape Town is that it comes down to traffic light timing. When you hit the button you want the green soonish, otherwise there is a great temptation to sneak over. Also, you need protection from left turning cars, who may not believe that they need to wait for non-motorised crossers. At some of Cape Town's intersections you can grow a beard while waiting for a green. The Bayside MyCiti bus station intersection is more or less criminal in this regard, forcing pedestrians to jaywalk in order to get to the bus in non-geological timescales.

Not Just Bikes had a great video about Dutch business parks that showcases their traffic light system. Basically, it intelligently detects what kind of traffic is pulling up and adjusts automatically to give the shortest wait times, and sometimes none at all.

4 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

That looks like it could work. Narrowing of the roads slightly to accommodate the cycle lanes and keeping the pedestrians and bikes separated.

The only problem would be to get the local councils to agree on the expenditure whilst moping up after the floods. 

Contact some biking groups and get some signatures and this could roll out in other towns.

I have seen cycling groups on the roads here, but I can't find any contact info for them.

KZN cycling could give you a cycling club list/ EMBA could give one too.

Other local bike shops might be able to help. 

Also try ethekwinicyclesafe@gmail.com

What with our rapid bus transport system roll out pretty much ground to a halt, good luck with your idea...

12 hours ago, Adrian Parkinson said:

Not Just Bikes had a great video about Dutch business parks that showcases their traffic light system. Basically, it intelligently detects what kind of traffic is pulling up and adjusts automatically to give the shortest wait times, and sometimes none at all.

we cant even get traffic lights synchronized properly to ease congestion, I highly doubt something like that could be successfully implemented here.

18 minutes ago, ouzo said:

we cant even get traffic lights synchronized properly to ease congestion, I highly doubt something like that could be successfully implemented here.

Well that's just the thing, isn't it?  A good concept without very good execution really doesn't help much.  There's so many things that you could use, such as smart traffic lights or a clever layout, but how often do we see these things well implemented?  The Cape Town MyCiti system with its associated bike lanes is an example of something that is almost there, but not quite. 

14 hours ago, Adrian Parkinson said:

Let me know what you think as well as any ideas on how to improve it further.

ballito drive.jpg

If I may add comment specifically to Ballito. There is major pedestrian traffic at this intersection and the next at Lifestyle Centre. The taxi rank is just to the right of this picture. Unfortunately at the circled area there will be a high risk of hitting them or at least congestion. It may require some further thought as to how they cross the cycle lane. Not sure of the solution. For those that don't/haven't lived here, these pedestrians get hit by cars every odd week already. 

This cycle lane will be amazing getting to and from Holla trails so hope it gets implemented.

InkedBallito_LI.jpg

I've shifted the bus lane to the left and also added the bus and cycle lanes to the oncoming side. I also added CCTV, some warning signs, and small speed bumps.

ballito drive.jpg

I think you should remove the ‘pretty’ trees you have ‘added’ to the AFTER pic, since they are not there, and would likely need a WIDER island than exists to contain them, as it were, then maybe CONSIDER adding ‘no-see-um’ (Cleaview mesh) fence to further discourage any jay walking, since pedestrians hear cars, but NOT bicycles…

great initiative - I think if you needed a small amount of money to help you roll the CONCEPT out, that HUBlanders may even do a small contribution.

cheers

Chris

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions on how a street like this could be improved? I don't see any room to add a bike lane unless everyone is willing to give up their verges.

This is the only street that connects Ballito and Salt Rock unless you want to take the N2, which isn't cyclable in the slightest.

ocean drive.JPG

35 km/h speed limit. It's a residential street, no need to go any faster, take the danger to pedestrians, pets and cyclists out of it. Use square speedbumps if necessary. 

2 minutes ago, CapSizer said:

Use square speedbumps if necessary

There are actually lots of speed bumps along this street. I've had angry drivers overtake me on the solid line because I slowed down for them.