Roadbike gears

Abel Du Plessis

36 minutes ago, Abel Du Plessis said:

Photos of RD as requested.
Will this work with a 11/28?

375_front.jpg.72f1a981f637100219753b802ece1a2b.jpg375_front.jpg.72f1a981f637100219753b802ece1a2b.jpgsmall_IMG_20220610_130101.jpg.0f61dc4d244d8d0b1134389c2aca2bb3.jpg

So that's a Short cage and will only be able to handle a cassette up to 28t .

based on the derailleur hanger design I'd rule out a range extender. Those soft pewter hangers bend easily and the extender will put a lot of leverage on the hanger.

50-34 front

11-28 rear is your best bet.

I run 50-34 F and 11-25 rear cassette on my lightweight bike while my aero bike uses 52/38 11-28. The 50/34 11-25 combo gives me much lower bottom range than I need for Signal hill. With a 11-28 on the back  can spin easily up that climb.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of additions to the excellent advice so far:

1. Look up the specs for the RD part number.

2. The largest sprocket value from the spec should be considered a conservative guideline (ie often you can shift larger sprockets than the spec with no problems...but not always. I shift +2 over my RD max spec with no issues whatsoever.)

3. Overcoming a shifting issue from 2 above can include an RD extender and/or B screw manipulation, new longer B screw or even reversing the B screw. Plenty more on this on the web.

Lots of hacks around if a 34-28 granny gear isn't big enough!

I'm a 'tinkerer' so I also, as some here have alluded to, think that sometimes you just have to try something out despite what the specs say ...

By all accounts this probably shouldn't work but it does, an old probably 9sp I'm not even 100% sure road derailleur with an 11-36 cassette. Yes it doesn't shift super crisp as some want but it shifts OK for me. 

Having said that it's also not the kind of thing you should expect or demand that your local bike shop does and then want it to be perfect! It's on you and you alone if you decide to do this kind of Heath Robinson cheap ass solution 🤪

20220611_095015.jpg

5 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'm a 'tinkerer' so I also, as some here have alluded to, think that sometimes you just have to try something out despite what the specs say ...

By all accounts this probably shouldn't work but it does, an old probably 9sp I'm not even 100% sure road derailleur with an 11-36 cassette. Yes it doesn't shift super crisp as some want but it shifts OK for me. 

Having said that it's also not the kind of thing you should expect or demand that your local bike shop does and then want it to be perfect! It's on you and you alone if you decide to do this kind of Heath Robinson cheap ass solution 🤪

20220611_095015.jpg

What’s the model number on the back plate of the derailleur body? It looks to have a medium length cage so maybe a touring unit ?

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

What’s the model number on the back plate of the derailleur body? It looks to have a medium length cage so maybe a touring unit ?

I'll have a proper look when I get a chance and report back

On 6/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, DieselnDust said:

It's an RD-3300 ... I'm using 10sp STI's with a 10sp 11-36 cassette and 36/44 rings