MTB Rear Coil Shock

MatBlack

Hi all, im in the market for a rear coil shock. Seems to be something of a rare item locally(based off google searches). Please can you point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

28 minutes ago, MatBlack said:

Hi all, im in the market for a rear coil shock. Seems to be something of a rare item locally(based off google searches). Please can you point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

First off, what bike is it for and what shock measurements do you require? There are MANY different shock strokes and ways of mounting them. The question is at the moment a little broad, but I can help you if you narrow it down.

It's not something that is typically stocked locally and you will need to order it.
I ordered mine through my local bike shop.

The bike you are getting it for is important.
Not every bike supports coil shocks. Coils are typically linear in nature and need a bike that has a progressive leverage curve, otherwise the forces at the end of the stroke will be harsh which could lead to failure. You could get a progressive spring to combat this but keep in mind fitting one may void the bikes warranty (if that is an issue for you).
A lot of bike brands will cover this in the FAQ section of the bike in question.

Like many others have suggested. Get in touch with Robbie at RBC. He'll be able to get you the right solution for your bike. I can recommend the Ohlins TTX22m. Mine has been running flawlessly for many thousands of kms. Robbie even rebuilt it for me to fit my new bikes frame.

I haven't heard good things about progressive springs though, so might be best to steer clear of these if possible, Best to make sure your bike's frame is compatible with coils shocks to start with.

Like everyone here said, make sure your leverage ratio and progressivity will suit a coil.

Also bear in mind that a coil is a lot heavier, may not have a lockout and makes the bike more planted. If you enjoy jumping (like me) then a coil may not be right for you, as it robs the bike of poppyness and makes the rear end feel more 'dead'.

Remember that a coil feels nice, but a high end air shock that is setup nicely can have almost the same small bump, but better progressivity and more 'pop'.

Finding the right spring rate is CRUCIAL. Do not settle for the wrong spring rate, as the shock will feel awful and there is almost nothing you can do to change that.

Lastly, if you enjoy tuning your bike then you may not like a coil, as with air you can use spacers, different air cans, different pressures etc. Lots of tuning options for everyone.

Thank you kindly for the help and advice all. Certainly a great deal to consider before making a purchase. Im definitely going to give it more thought before action

2 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Like everyone here said, make sure your leverage ratio and progressivity will suit a coil.

Also bear in mind that a coil is a lot heavier, may not have a lockout and makes the bike more planted. If you enjoy jumping (like me) then a coil may not be right for you, as it robs the bike of poppyness and makes the rear end feel more 'dead'.

Remember that a coil feels nice, but a high end air shock that is setup nicely can have almost the same small bump, but better progressivity and more 'pop'.

Finding the right spring rate is CRUCIAL. Do not settle for the wrong spring rate, as the shock will feel awful and there is almost nothing you can do to change that.

Lastly, if you enjoy tuning your bike then you may not like a coil, as with air you can use spacers, different air cans, different pressures etc. Lots of tuning options for everyone.

My Super Deluxe Ultimate coil shock body is the same mass as my Float DXP2 Air. So the mass difference is the coil itself. So less than most people assume.

In addition, even if your bike leverage ratio is more linear or rather, less progressive, there are multiple manners in which to overcome this with modern coil sprung shocks, progressive springs most notable, but also SprinDex etc.

Sprindex also overcomes some of the "limitations" of finding the correct spring rate (which in and of itself is personal preference in addition to "going for a sag %").

If you enjoy tuning your bike...a modern coil offers a load of adjustments on the LSC, HSC and rebound circuits as well. Sure, no volume spacers (See Sprindex).

This misnomer of a coil robbing your bike of playfulness needs to ride a Evil Wreckoning with a coil sprung shock and speak again. It's simply too large a generalisation adn is dependent on bike suspension platform as well as compression, rebound and spring rate setting on your shock as well - i.e. the rear will almost certainly not feel "dead" with any modern coil shock.

I.e. Get the coil. You very likely will never look back :)

20 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

My Super Deluxe Ultimate coil shock body is the same mass as my Float DXP2 Air. So the mass difference is the coil itself. So less than most people assume.

In addition, even if your bike leverage ratio is more linear or rather, less progressive, there are multiple manners in which to overcome this with modern coil sprung shocks, progressive springs most notable, but also SprinDex etc.

Sprindex also overcomes some of the "limitations" of finding the correct spring rate (which in and of itself is personal preference in addition to "going for a sag %").

If you enjoy tuning your bike...a modern coil offers a load of adjustments on the LSC, HSC and rebound circuits as well. Sure, no volume spacers (See Sprindex).

This misnomer of a coil robbing your bike of playfulness needs to ride a Evil Wreckoning with a coil sprung shock and speak again. It's simply too large a generalisation adn is dependent on bike suspension platform as well as compression, rebound and spring rate setting on your shock as well - i.e. the rear will almost certainly not feel "dead" with any modern coil shock.

I.e. Get the coil. You very likely will never look back :)

Yeah I know about progressive springs, but I have heard bad things about them...

Also I do agree with the tuning part, but an air shock is just that bit more tunable, and I love that.

But I do know it makes your bike less playful than an air shock. Due to the extra weight and less progression

The coil itself definitely does weigh a fair bit, and a coil shock weighs noticeable more than an air shock.

But not trying to steer him away from the coil, just giving him some advice and pointers. I love coil shocks for the sensitivity, simplicity, looks and feel. But currently air just makes more sense for how I ride.

28 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yeah I know about progressive springs, but I have heard bad things about them...

Also I do agree with the tuning part, but an air shock is just that bit more tunable, and I love that.

But I do know it makes your bike less playful than an air shock. Due to the extra weight and less progression

The coil itself definitely does weigh a fair bit, and a coil shock weighs noticeable more than an air shock.

But not trying to steer him away from the coil, just giving him some advice and pointers. I love coil shocks for the sensitivity, simplicity, looks and feel. But currently air just makes more sense for how I ride.

Fo sho, but okes sometimes overstate the "negatives" without explaining why and then similarly understate the "positives".

Like the progressivity. One can overcome that to a large degree if the shock has a LSC and/or HSC circuit you can close off etc.

300grams roughly for the mass of the coil itself yes is the penalty.

They are also not necessarily as simple either to setup, but oh man...The sensitivity...Good luck getting that with any air shock IMO. Maybe the Float X...and even that is a maybe.

One other thing to consider if the servicing of the coil shock is cheaper as well :)

5 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Fo sho, but okes sometimes overstate the "negatives" without explaining why and then similarly understate the "positives".

Like the progressivity. One can overcome that to a large degree if the shock has a LSC and/or HSC circuit you can close off etc.

300grams roughly for the mass of the coil itself yes is the penalty.

They are also not necessarily as simple either to setup, but oh man...The sensitivity...Good luck getting that with any air shock IMO. Maybe the Float X...and even that is a maybe.

One other thing to consider if the servicing of the coil shock is cheaper as well :)

I second all of this. The sensitivity is amazing (especially when you are light like me) and is hard to match with an air shock (megneg feels like a coil...)

Coils also have less to go wrong and mechanically are more simple.

Also OP, good luck with the hunt and pics when you have got it please!