Transportation of Road Bike to the UK

Bhavin Rama

Hi there

Wanted to know if anyone has successfully taken over there bicycles/bicyle to the UK.

if so what is the best option of taking it down? Are there external companies, associated costs etc.

Any help would be great!

Regards

I moved to the UK in April. Booked on Emirates as they seem to give the best allowance on weight. I paid for an extra 23kg's and packed my bike shoes, helmet and a few other things in the bike box. Get a hard case box like scicon if you can. I had my box wrapped at OR Tambo but it still got badly scratched. I arrived at Manchester and went through without any questions asked. I shipped my other bikes, trainer and tools with our home contents and it arrived in the UK last week. I was told that it can take up to 8 weeks before it gets delivered to my house. 

I moved to the UK in January. I booked with KLM and paid for an extra 23kg for me and 23kg for my wife. Packed a road bike and 2 x MTB’s in the 2 boxes I made from hardboard cable ties and duck tape to KLM bike box dimensions. The boxes cost me less than R 200 to make and all three bikes arrived  in the UK with no damaged.

External companies quoted me between R 10 000.00 and R 12 000.00 per bike box if send by plane. Shipping is cheaper, but take about 2 months plus, depend how long it take the shipping company to fill the container. 

Go to your LBS and get a cardboard bike box from them . They usually put all the polystyrene and other usable padding in the box for use later . They are designed and manufactured strong  for transport . I recently sent a  bike local using a cardboard bike box and fitted everything in including extras and nothing got damaged . Our local courier industry is not known for being  careful with parcels . 

Have been flying Qatar Air for about 12 years now, up to 8 flights a year, internationally...with my bike...in a proper bike bag (PROBIKE).....

image.png.94b485129c4f3b4c6fd979834714ad3f.png

It has cost me....

ZERO.... R/$/QR/AED/Kwachas/Rupees/SD/GBP/EURO