Arniston route options for MTB?

Manx Man

Hi hubbers, any recommendations in terms of riding my MTB in or around Arniston. Going with the family, including the mother. in law for a week, so I need an escape option!

There is some gravel between Arniston and Struisbaai towards Die Mond area. Not a hell of a lot but it's there. Also from Struisbaai towards Elim - there is quite a lot of gravel.

There are also trails around Bredasdorp but I'm not familiar with those

Plenty of gravel.

But if you want to ride trails, then do yourself a favor and go ride the trails in the hills above Bredasdorp. 

Permits available at the local tourism office, and the bike shop in town..

https://www.bredasdorpadventures.co.za/

These are not groomed flow trails. You'll be working hard, and it will be an adventure. 

7 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Plenty of gravel.

But if you want to ride trails, then do yourself a favor and go ride the trails in the hills above Bredasdorp. 

Permits available at the local tourism office, and the bike shop in town..

https://www.bredasdorpadventures.co.za/

These are not groomed flow trails. You'll be working hard, and it will be an adventure. 

I recall a VERY nice Patatfees at Napier.  Some really nice trails.  Will "fondly" remember this as the day I shot out the starting shoot like a frozen popcicle to race to the front ... burnt my matches early, then started cramping .... barely made it back.  (good old days of an analogue bike)

Sadly no idea how to get access to these outside of an event.

Back to Arniston .... Everything to the "left" of the main road leading into Arniston is Denel/Armscor (or whatever it is called today) grounds .... STUNNING wildlife .... would be an excellent MTB area .... but access STRICTLY controlled.  Thus very little options at Arniston itself.

As Philip mentioned, definitely the Bredasdorp MTB trails (not on a gravel bike!). They're called Heuningberg MTB Trails. This is proper MTB (not downhill, just raw rocky trails) with great views and tough climbs (but not too long).

I did a 2 hour, 24km ride which was basically two different loops with about 2km overlap - was enough for me. I drove from Arniston and parked on the hospital side. I seem to recall paying for a permit using snapscan on the trail.