Sports glasses with prescription inserts anyone?

Headshot

thanks to all for the replies. and once again to Martin for reaching out to me yesterday.

As my son will use this for cricket, we decided to investigate options for sport sunglass frame with his prescription lenses. Looking at the different options. As my optometrist can arrange through oakley for clear polycarb  lenses we consider that. Can get refurbished Racing Jacket frames for good price from Revu Replacement lenses. Other option will be to go the route Martin suggested through Aliexpress

As mentioned, contact lenses would be ideal, BUT my guy cant get himself to the point of putting contact on eye

17 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I have a pair which is great, but you are left with horrible blind spots. I have since learned to use contact lenses and I also have a pair of prescription sunglasses, which might be a better option.

yep, did some research on that, and especially with cricket, blind spots can be disasterous

as mentioned i  have tried all the avenues. I played cricket for a long time and noticed the blind spots with the inserts even when cycling. It was the only option for me at the time as I struggle big time to use contacts. I am only using them for about 3 or 4 years now and still struggle. My prescription sunglasses work for me. Check with spec savers what they have available as well. You are limited in the shape of the frame for sunglasses.

4 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

I have bought many pairs of myopia glasses and sunglasses from Aliexpress. They are very cheap, but they work fine for cycling. It takes a while for them to arrive. But worth the wait. I found they are not good for driving at night (especially in the rain), but otherwise work fine.

The normal sunglasses are pretty good too, many come with myopia inserts which local optometrists can make up for you. The various types of myopia inserts for sports glasses are also very cheap. I have bought a few, but not tried them out yet.

cool, so you just get the optometrist to fit to size?

49 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

cool, so you just get the optometrist to fit to size?

Yes. Try a few. I got a quote of R700 in the second one I visited.

Hi Everyone,

Please have a look at the Alba Optics range. 

Local Distributor - https://vivovitasport.com/product-category/alba-optics/

sales@vivovitasport.com 

International Site - https://albaoptics.cc/optical-clip/

The same Optical Clip fits on all the AO models.

Clive de Jongh, Optometrist, can assist with this.

clive@spectaclewarehouse.co.za | 012 991 4911

AO is also one of the few brands that do photochromatic lenses with a tint. 

Price Range varies between R2500-R4400 for the glasses and R1250 for the optical lens. The Optical lens is available in both BK and WT colourways.

Edited by Maridt

4 hours ago, Maridt said:

Hi Everyone,

Please have a look at the Alba Optics range. 

Local Distributor - https://vivovitasport.com/product-category/alba-optics/

sales@vivovitasport.com 

International Site - https://albaoptics.cc/optical-clip/

The same Optical Clip fits on all the AO models.

Clive de Jongh, Optometrist, can assist with this.

clive@spectaclewarehouse.co.za | 012 991 4911

AO is also one of the few brands that do photochromatic lenses with a tint. 

Price Range varies between R2500-R4400 for the glasses and R1250 for the optical lens. The Optical lens is available in both BK and WT colourways.

am guessing you work for them??

You can also consider ortho-K, contacts you sleep with that reshape/mold your corneal surface so you can see without prescription spectacles during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just some update on my initial post

We considered all the available options.

1. Contact lenses of any kind were out of the questions

2. Optical inserts are great but have limitations with regards to blindspots etc especially if you use it for other sports.

3. We considered Rudy Project where you get the clip-ins into the frame. How that works your buy sunglass frame, buy the inserts and then the lenses. Frame 2400. Inserts 1000 and lenses 1250.

4. We finally settled for these Under Armour frames. Took my son to Spectacle Warehouse in Atterbury yesterday and took his current script for lenses with. he decided on the white frame. These frames are sold with the inserts for lenses ( the grey part). All in all I paid 3800 for frame and lenses and he will be getting them tomorrow. second pic is how they frame and glasses fit from the side. very comfy and dont move at all.

I just want to thank each and everyone for their comments, information and advice. Martin sent me a lot of additional info as well. Glad we ended up with what we did. So for those in Pretoria area looking for an option like this, it wouldnt hurt to go to Spectacle warehouse. very impressed.

UnderArmour.jpg

side view.jpg

Edited by RudoJ
added a photo

2 hours ago, RudoJ said:

Hi All

Just some update on my initial post

We considered all the available options.

1. Contact lenses of any kind were out of the questions

2. Optical inserts are great but have limitations with regards to blindspots etc especially if you use it for other sports.

3. We considered Rudy Project where you get the clip-ins into the frame. How that works your buy sunglass frame, buy the inserts and then the lenses. Frame 2400. Inserts 1000 and lenses 1250.

4. We finally settled for these Under Armour frames. Took my son to Spectacle Warehouse in Atterbury yesterday and took his current script for lenses with. he decided on the white frame. These frames are sold with the inserts for lenses ( the grey part). All in all I paid 3800 for frame and lenses and he will be getting them tomorrow. second pic is how they frame and glasses fit from the side. very comfy and dont move at all.

I just want to thank each and everyone for their comments, information and advice. Martin sent me a lot of additional info as well. Glad we ended up with what we did. So for those in Pretoria area looking for an option like this, it wouldnt hurt to go to Spectacle warehouse. very impressed.

UnderArmour.jpg

side view.jpg

Any idea if they offer this with photochromatic lenses ?

21 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Any idea if they offer this with photochromatic lenses ?

I am not sure, we just opted for the normal clear lens with anti glare coating

I got myself Arnette glasses 2 years ago, just added silicon on the temples and still is very much happy with them, comfy, don't slid of, on MTB and Road rides never have to adjust them. I could choose any lenses depending on my budget but went with clear. previous ones were photochromatic.,

I wanted to go the Oakley route but the Arnette's were so much more comfy.

https://www.otticasm.com/en/eyeglasses-arnette-knosh-an-7159-01.html