The Landy Lovers thread...

Stoffel76

Judging by the way the "Things I learnt from being my own mechanic" thread went recently, a dedicated Land Rover thread seems like a good idea. We all have the common bond of a love of cycling, but throw in the comradery that comes with Land Rover ownership and it should be an epically lekker thread! 🤣

My love affair with Land Rovers started back in 1988, I was around 12.  We lived in Gaborone for a few years and my dad bought '84 Series 3 R6 (which had the 2.6l Rover straight 6 engine fitted, apparently a Leyland SA thing). I learnt to drive in that in Khutse Game reserve in central Botswana.  There were other trips to the Makgadikgadi pans, Moremi & Chobe, Tsodilo Hills & Shakawe & Caprivi and Vic Falls. Incredible memories    

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed that this topic seems stillborn. Mine started with a friend buying a mid 50's ex SADF Series 1 SWB. on the coast in the mid 70's but with the 2.25litre Series 2 lump engine. That thing was rotten but was stripped and the chassis sandblasted and repainted then began Tour de Scrapyard for a better firewall then a Salisbury rear axles, Series 3 lights and brakes. Then came the Weld Trek with a homemade grille, rollbar and bullbar. Finally a Ford V6 enjin was fitted (plus overdrive and another fuel tank 🤓). That thing went to the Wild Coast, Lesotho and Botswana and as I recall (and my memory is probably wrong) it never let us down.

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Disappointed that this topic seems stillborn. 

Maybe everyone's hands were too greasy from working on their Land Rovers to type?? 🤣

• 4 months later...

My disco 3 is still running great. After having a VW kombi, amarok, X3, dodge caliber, and a few extras, this is by far the best vehicle ever. I want an old defender really badly, but space and the prices on those keeps it a pipe dream.