ROGUE Riders at Events

knippie

Rogue riders pitching at events without number boards are a common thing these days (according to Time Keepers and event organizers).  What is going on?  Are we that lawless that we don't see that we've just become nothing less than a common thief?!  When you lucky to see them in the start shoot and dare to approach them they make a huge scene and you are the one that hasn't got your ducks in a row, when you spot them on the finish line, they have this attitude that they don't need timing and they just there for the fun!

My word what do you not get?  It costs money to host an event and surely we all trying to make a living here, if you cannot afford to do an event then stay at home or go ride your local trails!  Things like: Timing, Medics, Water points, marshals, marketing etc etc etc costs money!

• 2 months later...

I agree 100%, although I wouldn't put much stock in the medics at some of these events. 

I fractured a vertebra in an event in August 2021. Once the WhatsApp was sent with location, the first responders were told I'd lost consciousness. Neither examined me at all, but rather transferred me by bakkie to the nearest water point where I was handed over to another paramedic. I was then told to wait on the tailgate of this one's bakkie whilst they waited for an ambulance. no examination from #2 team either. My face was banged up pretty bad, turned out I had a broken nose too, also needed about 20 stiches in said face once I got to hospital.

Ambulance arrived and I was put in a jump seat, not asked to lie down, and was transported. via ambulance to the starting point. The lady in the ambulance did try to clean a rather nasty gash on my knee.

When I got back to HQ, I was asked what had happened, there were five or six paramedics there. I did tell them I'd lost consciousness for a bit. I was not examined and asked to lie down but given a deck chair to sit in and asked to wait for my wife to come fetch me. Because she was travelling form JHB to Cullinan I got a bit bored and was "allowed" to wander around the event without being checked.

In short, over 10 paramedics/medics saw what I looked like, heard what had happened to me and no one thought to check me out. CT scan revealed a spinal fracture, broken nose, and other injuries, no one checked me out. This was a well-known ER company and it was laughable. If my injury was worse and I wasn't adequately examined, I could be in a wheel chair now. I don't put much stock in event medics after this. We're on our own!

2 minutes ago, Jigghead said:

I agree 100%, although I wouldn't put much stock in the medics at some of these events. 

I fractured a vertebra in an event in August 2021. Once the WhatsApp was sent with location, the first responders were told I'd lost consciousness. Neither examined me at all, but rather transferred me by bakkie to the nearest water point where I was handed over to another paramedic. I was then told to wait on the tailgate of this one's bakkie whilst they waited for an ambulance. no examination from #2 team either. My face was banged up pretty bad, turned out I had a broken nose too, also needed about 20 stiches in said face once I got to hospital.

Ambulance arrived and I was put in a jump seat, not asked to lie down, and was transported. via ambulance to the starting point. The lady in the ambulance did try to clean a rather nasty gash on my knee.

When I got back to HQ, I was asked what had happened, there were five or six paramedics there. I did tell them I'd lost consciousness for a bit. I was not examined and asked to lie down but given a deck chair to sit in and asked to wait for my wife to come fetch me. Because she was travelling form JHB to Cullinan I got a bit bored and was "allowed" to wander around the event without being checked.

In short, over 10 paramedics/medics saw what I looked like, heard what had happened to me and no one thought to check me out. CT scan revealed a spinal fracture, broken nose, and other injuries, no one checked me out. This was a well-known ER company and it was laughable. If my injury was worse and I wasn't adequately examined, I could be in a wheel chair now. I don't put much stock in event medics after this. We're on our own!

Interesting case recently bout a school boy that was paralysed due to poor medical treatment at a rugby match in 2006. His case was recently completed.

the gist of the case is that event organisers should be acutely aware of their obligations to participants in events and ensure their medical teams are well trained and able to deal with incidents that can occur at cycling events. 

This costs money so those on their high end bikes should at a minimum pay the entry fee. It’s the right thing to do. And it’s in their interests too. People are so short sighted. You don’t pay the event is not viable it gets scrapped. Then ppl bitch nd moan. 

1 minute ago, IceCreamMan said:

Interesting case recently bout a school boy that was paralysed due to poor medical treatment at a rugby match in 2006. His case was recently completed.

the gist of the case is that event organisers should be acutely aware of their obligations to participants in events and ensure their medical teams are well trained and able to deal with incidents that can occur at cycling events. 

This costs money so those on their high end bikes should at a minimum pay the entry fee. It’s the right thing to do. And it’s in their interests too. People are so short sighted. You don’t pay the event is not viable it gets scrapped. Then ppl bitch nd moan. 

I'm happy to pay fees for these events. I know where the money goes, I don't need the goodie bag and the rest. All I'm after is nice routes, water and proper medical care. This was a well known event, with one of the "Big Two" ER companies in attendance. It just seems that they send entry level responders to these events. When I approached the organizers, I was simply offered a free entry for next time. I told them I'm happily pay if they ensured appropriate medical care for those unfortunate enough to run out of talent on any given day!

23 hours ago, Jigghead said:

You were loocky (Monty Python accent). I took a tumble at a race organised by quite a well known personality in the sport, eventually picked up in a bakkie by him, he was too busy chatting to John Smit to worry about me; dumped at the start/ finish; no paramedics summoned or in sight, daughter loaded me up and took me home and then casualty at the nearest hospital where I almost passed out. Broken collar bone, a few broken ribs and a punctured lung. Eish!