Bikebags

Kausie

Good day,

New to the forum so apologies in advance if this topic is in the wrong section.

I’m looking for new or used bike bags for a trip I’ll be doing in the New Year. I expect to carry cooking, sleeping equipment and food over 3-4 weeks stopping at spaza shops to fill up. I’ll be riding a a full sus MTB 29” in size medium. 

Any advice for a trip of this kind will be appreciated but specifically looking for bags. You are welcome to contact me over WhatsApp 

Regards,

Kausie

hi Kausie.

first, and most important point is if you like your bike, put tape over wherever you mount bags etc.

does your MTB has rear rack mounts? having one is so helpful. i even put 2 bags of wood on mine to take from town to my cabin.

panniers are great for storing lots of stuff and easy access, but put all the weight on the back and have a real effect on big climbs or in the wind.

if you're in cape town, https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-biking-accessories/meadowridge/bicycle-panniers-pair-avenir/10011286488511010013053609

these are a bargain, and even if not properly waterproof, you just use a heavy duty bin bag, or ziplock bags to keep important things dry.

you dont need all the fanciest Apidura etc bags, so long as you have your important stuff waterproofed. I have used all manner of bags from Decathlon, bidorbuy etc, and just strapping dry bags to the rack. and seat post

if you want expert advice, and someone to make bags specifically to fit your bike, contact Steve https://www.cycle-africa.co.za/page-242-custom-made-bike-bags-south-africa.html

if water is going to be an issue, taping or mounting addtional cages to your fork will be helpul, or using feedbags, or putting a hydration bladder in a frame bag.

you can strap/bungy a dry bag to your bars rather than buying a specific bar bag.

Edited by RossTopher

If you search here for Touring, you'll find a substantial thread with lots of useful info. Also search classifieds...someone was recently selling a full set if Arkel panniers and racks.