MTB Routes around Hartenbos & Mosselbay

DSussy

Hi, 

I am coming through to the Hartenbos area over December and would like to find out:

1. if there are any MTB trails around that area, preferably not to drive far from Hartenbos, I can not seem to find much on the net,
  2. Safety, do you need ride in groups or solo rides are safe?

Any feedback would be much appreciatted.

Thanks 

D

17 minutes ago, DSussy said:

Hi, 

I am coming through to the Hartenbos area over December and would like to find out:

1. if there are any MTB trails around that area, preferably not to drive far from Hartenbos, I can not seem to find much on the net,

Thanks 

D

I used to go to the Shell at Voorbaai Truckstop.

Speak to Johannes (owner). 

They used to have rides from there every morning.

Some nice routes in the area. We used to do around 40km every day.

1 minute ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

I used to go to the Shell at Voorbaai Truckstop.

Speak to Johannes (owner). 

They used to have rides from there every morning.

Some nice routes in the area. We used to do around 40km every day.

thanks will do 

It's mostly gravel. There is one fun single track section on private land which is also part of the Hart & Bos race happening on the 26th. 

4 hours ago, DSussy said:

Hi, 

Thanks 

D

Lots of gravel straight out of Hartenbos as per the pic I posted, but not your typical smooth gravel roads. Mostly MTBs using the routes.

Very safe, no issues except on the tar road joining the N2 between Mossel Bay and Dana Bay (bottom right of the pic) as you pass an informal settlement - here I would cycle in a group. Then also on the tar road along the coast between Diaz Beach and De Bakke Beach - right on the corner past Boland Park there have been incidents (not just cycling related, but runners, etc. - I think there is a warning sign on the beach itself as people have been mugged on the beach) as there is easy access to the informal settlement. Though, the roads are very busy during December (cars + cyclists) so just be alert when passing there.

+1 on Shell in Voorbaai - usually MTB rides from there in the morning

Then Johnny Koen Cycles also in Voorbaai host the morning road rides

From the map. Kleinbrak tar over river past the Botliers turnoff. Keep on tar. It veers right and becomes gravel. Donaldshoogte on map. Keep going 8 or 9 kms.  Turn right . There are two turnoffs close to each other. It's the first one. (If you pass a yellow farm house with a green roof on left , you've missed the turnoff)

The Big Dipper. Take care. Over the Beneke River and a lekker uphill. T junction at the lodge turn right. Klein Sorgfontein . On the map it shows a turnoff to Botliers. It's closed. A downhill and a few steep climbs. Game farm either side.  T junction . Turn right onto tar. First right tar past Reebokstene. Downhill. Just before the highway bridge there's a dirt road crossing . Go right past the sewerage farm . 4km or so you are back in Kleinbrak. 

Shorter version . Past Botliers .Keep left . Dirt road to Brandwag . R 328 back to Hartenbos. Traffic. 

Or.....Left turn at the T on top of Big Dipper go to Friemersheim. First circle where tar starts left. Pinehaven loop. A very steep climb. Eventually brings you back into Friemersheim. 

Sorry for the long description. Hope can do something with it.

Edited by Blokman