Saldanha Langebaan JacobsBay

HeadDown

New to Saldanha / Langebaan / JacobsBay and was wondering if there are any areas to be wary of? Safety wise, are there any bikejackings up here? (please say no) I ride exclusively on the road.

It's pretty safe but we have had our share of attempts over the past couple of years but can count them on my fingers more or less.  Road rides for the most part if your route is so to avoid close proximity to the informal sectors should be smooth sailing.  We have a couple of roads linking the towns that should make for good route options you can mix and match to keep the routes fun and different.

3 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Don't forget the West Coast National Park for low traffic.

Where the only worry is a buck side swiping you off the bike. Those days when they organized road races in the reserve, this was a regular occurrence. A buck or 2 Being startled by a rushing peloton.

41 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Where the only worry is a buck side swiping you off the bike. Those days when they organized road races in the reserve, this was a regular occurrence. A buck or 2 Being startled by a rushing peloton.

Or an ostrich looking to sprint race you 😁

1 hour ago, tinmug said:

Don't forget the West Coast National Park for low traffic.

I'm planning on that at some point, but what worries me is that brains turn off as soon as the boom lifts, so while there may be one car, the risk may be greater. Perhaps it's my brain that turns off though 🤯

23 hours ago, HeadDown said:

New to Saldanha / Langebaan / JacobsBay and was wondering if there are any areas to be wary of? Safety wise, are there any bikejackings up here? (please say no) I ride exclusively on the road.

If you're going to ride road, I can't suggest a radar-equipped rear light strongly enough. Speeds are high and wind may prevent hearing an approaching car. Advance warning is such a comfort. I usually give a wave when I hear a beep off my unit and cars give me space far more often than not.

That said, you could always do what the locals do and ride facing the traffic - this sets my spidey sense off and I begin shaking...

17 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

If you're going to ride road, I can't suggest a radar-equipped rear light strongly enough. Speeds are high and wind may prevent hearing an approaching car. Advance warning is such a comfort. I usually give a wave when I hear a beep off my unit and cars give me space far more often than not.

That said, you could always do what the locals do and ride facing the traffic - this sets my spidey sense off and I begin shaking...

Only do the into oncoming traffic on the double lane road between Vredenburg & Saldanha and only on the one side (the shoulder of the lanes from Saldanha to Vredenburg is just none existing while on the Vredenburg to Saldanha side you have like half a lane width 🤷‍♂️)

10 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Only do the into oncoming traffic on the double lane road between Vredenburg & Saldanha and only on the one side (the shoulder of the lanes from Saldanha to Vredenburg is just none existing while on the Vredenburg to Saldanha side you have like half a lane width 🤷‍♂️)

oh yeah, past the cemetery and oval track? with people gunning it to get up the hill? yeah, that's pretty scary. Thanks for the tip.

The other fun part is the R399 from Velddrif to the silos towards Hopefield - no shoulder at all either way. Made more fun by overtakers from the front...

15 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

oh yeah, past the cemetery and oval track? with people gunning it to get up the hill? yeah, that's pretty scary. Thanks for the tip.

The other fun part is the R399 from Velddrif to the silos towards Hopefield - no shoulder at all either way. Made more fun by overtakers from the front...

Hence why I do not frequent that road, the other no shoulder road is the old link road between the Langebaanweg and the Engin 1 stop on the West Coast road, there is at least now that new link to the flyover that gives you and alternative route and a couple more km to do depending on your route layout

Also they are tarring the back road between Vredenburg and St Helenabay and I believe St Helenabay and Paternoster.  It is taking away some MTB route options but opening it to road bikes on the flip side.

Just saw a post on my strava feed about a bikejacking that took place this morning close to the airfield.  From what I can gather bakkie pushed rider off the road then grabbed the bike and sped off.  🤬

5 hours ago, -cK- said:

Also they are tarring the back road between Vredenburg and St Helenabay and I believe St Helenabay and Paternoster.  It is taking away some MTB route options but opening it to road bikes on the flip side.

I think I understand the Vburg-Stompneus road, but the Paternoster one? i'm stomped...

43 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Just saw a post on my strava feed about a bikejacking that took place this morning close to the airfield.  From what I can gather bakkie pushed rider off the road then grabbed the bike and sped off.  🤬

Saldanha airfield? (Or the air force base?) Time?

39 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I think I understand the Vburg-Stompneus road, but the Paternoster one? i'm stomped...

There is a 4 way crossing on that back road (about 15km from Vredenburg) the one splits to a farm the other side splits of to Paternoster and then joins the main road to Paternoster just before you enter the town.