Replaceable Thread Inserts For Disc Brakes

DehanL

I have a Swift Evil Twin full-sus mountain bike frame which I'm trying to build up. It has some clever little threaded inserts for the rear post mount disc brake caliper that are removable and replaceable should you strip them. Now, the frame I bought second hand didn't come with these, so I'm trying to source some.

Is this a common thing in MTB's, or likely a proprietary Swift thing for this frame?

1426343561881-s4nqfnfhr8g6-1000-90-1c419f3.webp

I had the same on a very old GT Zaskar

I would suggest Omnico have spares, which means most bike shops can source them pretty easily.

I sourced  mine through them, but that was 10 years ago

This Insert you could probably find at a nut and bolt shop, if you are in JHB i would recommend going to JKM in Randburg with a sample, the would probably have a few different varieties, they have bailed me out many a time with strange fastener solutions on my mx bikes, cars and bicycles  

36 minutes ago, Christie said:

Most common thread protection is called a helicoil.

The other one I am familiar with is a Keensert.

I think he is looking for very specific cylinder shaped inserts that slot into round holes in the brake mount.

These are bored and threaded to mount the brake.

If you look at the 1st image there are 2 silver circles that look like a flat head screw driver will turn them.

Those are removeable

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I had the same on a very old GT Zaskar

I would suggest Omnico have spares, which means most bike shops can source them pretty easily.

I sourced  mine through them, but that was 10 years ago

Will give them a shout and see. Seems like such a pesky little detail to add to a frame design.

22 hours ago, jd3 said:

This Insert you could probably find at a nut and bolt shop, if you are in JHB i would recommend going to JKM in Randburg with a sample, the would probably have a few different varieties, they have bailed me out many a time with strange fastener solutions on my mx bikes, cars and bicycles  

In Joburg indeed. I will make the trip to JKM and see what can be done. Thank you!