Wheel (rim) repair - Johannesburg area

S'up hubbers? 

Any suggestions for a wheel repair person in the local Jhb area? 

Here's the gen: 

Aluminum rim (mtb) 
30mm width
The rim has 3 dents in it which I need panel beaten out on the non drive side  (I presume its from running the pressure too soft)
- The dents are the outer edge of the rim which has bent inwards. 2 of them still seat without a hassles, the one doesn't and leaks sealant 

They're a 5 month old wheel set and spec'd for enduro/down hill style riding, but I suspect the supplier will not entertain a claim due to my reason above

I can drop off tomorrow or Wednesday and don't mind waiting as I have a second wheel-set to continue with the daily riding. 

Any suggestions? 

If you can tweak out the vertical dings, do it.

Be careful about the horizontal surface where the tyre bead seals.
If this is dented in, it may prevent the tyre from sealing properly.

Often, when rims are dinged like that, they go out of true as well, because of the now not-round rim and loose and tight spokes.

Alloy rims aren't that costly. so if in doubt, have the rim replaced.

DT Swiss have some "enduro" rims like the M502 and E532 available in SA for under R2k, but also consider the EX511 from DT, Spank 359 and the Flow Mk4 or Flow EX3 from Stan's NoTubes.

The Flow EX3 is THE strongest alloy rim currently on the market.

Just now, 117 said:

Thanks chaps

One of the dings is leaking, so I'd rather send it away for a quick panel beat. 

@nick_the_wheelbuilder you in Jhb? 

No, moved to Wilderness near George 3 years ago.

95% of the wheels I repair or build go in a box, with a courier, somewhere else :)

49 minutes ago, 117 said:

S'up hubbers? 

Any suggestions for a wheel repair person in the local Jhb area? 

Here's the gen: 

Aluminum rim (mtb) 
30mm width
The rim has 3 dents in it which I need panel beaten out on the non drive side  (I presume its from running the pressure too soft)
- The dents are the outer edge of the rim which has bent inwards. 2 of them still seat without a hassles, the one doesn't and leaks sealant 

They're a 5 month old wheel set and spec'd for enduro/down hill style riding, but I suspect the supplier will not entertain a claim due to my reason above

I can drop off tomorrow or Wednesday and don't mind waiting as I have a second wheel-set to continue with the daily riding. 

Any suggestions? 

Try Wayne from Rapidé, he is excellent with wheel building but dont know if his skills extend to "panel beating", but maybe give it a shot.

Just now, 117 said:

Thanks Theo. I'll call Wayne later 

👍 Alternatively you can buy new rims from him, they are nice looking, strong & light ... :).