Flat pedals shoes

Chumi

2 hours ago, MajG said:

they look good, however when I tried them on they abit narrow and have no real toe protection on the culverts.

Is the Semenuk different?

Odd. Did you try some of the other shoes besides the Culvert? My feet aren't narrow and I don't struggle at all.

AFAIK the Semenuk does not have the hard sole as it's more for short dirt jump runs vs all day enduros.

How do the Culvert's work for sizing?

I am a 45EU which is 10,5UK but that website only has 10 or 11UK...

7 minutes ago, guidodg said:

How do the Culvert's work for sizing?

I am a 45EU which is 10,5UK but that website only has 10 or 11UK...

I see on the main Etnies website they do offer .5 sizes. The local distributor may not carry them. 

1 hour ago, Brawler said:

Odd. Did you try some of the other shoes besides the Culvert? My feet aren't narrow and I don't struggle at all.

AFAIK the Semenuk does not have the hard sole as it's more for short dirt jump runs vs all day enduros.

Guess I got extra wide feet then lol.

@guidodgtry bloemendal trail hub shop they had etnies for sale at R950

Give them a call

3 hours ago, guidodg said:

Thanks Neill...so you are saying that if I normally wear a 45EU i would need a 47EU in the Leatts?

Yes, In my case I had to "upsize". Maybe try and fit before you buy? If you are in the Cape try Blacksheep, Knipe Racing or Olympic cycles. They normally have plenty of stock.

On 8/25/2023 at 4:57 PM, MORNE said:

I have a pair of free rider pros but unfortunately they are not easy to get to SA these days. They aren't available here, and even if they were…im sure you’ll only get them im children's sizes like everything else here these days (max 11)

Unicorns i tell you. I got my size 14 ones on a flash 50% off sale at some italian online store and full well knew that import tax will add that 50% back on and then an additional 25% and then some haha. So in the end i paid what you would for them at full retail….but the sale meant i wasn't going to pay double atleast. Hey, and i got some in my size…im looking at you Leatt! (Local my gat!)

I have some bike spicific etnies with a Michelin sole (only because they also make bigger shoes and have local stock), and the 5-tens are almost too grippy. Once you are stood on them its hard to adjust your foot without lifting it. They feel a bit less sticky on some crappy spank pedals on another bike which i actually slightly prefer. I might take some pins out to get some of that ‘float’ back

but yes, i fully agree why people say they are the gold standard. When you get them, put them on straight out of the box and try and drag your foot over a tiled floor. You basically cant😅 

Even here in Hobbit Land it's a mixed bag. Like some of the bigger retailers only seem to have extreme sizes, and nothing in stores where one can try them on.

They tend to stock mode Leatt, Giro and Ride Concepts on the shelf, with FiveTens being sporadically spread throughout the country

Fortunately though, there's some great pricing on the moment (exchange rate is roughly 11 ZAR to 1 NZD)...

image.png.55c4f37145d9b212d67d961e1f5ba92a.png

image.png.45666932c3713f16a68fd73e31591b8f.png

Maybe I should start an export business 🤔

I ride with Specialized 2FO Roost shoes which are probably the closest thing to Five 10 according to the YouTubes and the Interwebs. Tons of grip. And like @MORNE mentions, just like his 510 they don't float as well initially. I have Spank Spoon pedals and the pins are quite high so the shoes bite and, just like a bull terrier, refuse to let go, so I have to ensure that my foot placement is spot on when I aim for anything that isn't flat ground. 

Getting my feet inserted is a routine challenge due to my foot bridge being rather high, but once they're in I'm sorted. They are comfortable and I can ride all day without my feet starting to feel like they want out of the shoes.

I paid around 2.5k for them maybe 2 years ago and, although being very pricey, I don't need to replace them anytime soon.

Suede uppers also don't mind the odd spin in the washing machine to keep the pong at bay either, and they still look very good for their age considering the abuse I've inflicted on them.

Overall I rate my 2FO's highly and will freely recommend them.

If you are riding a gravel/ road bike then I would suggest getting shoes with cleats that clip into your pedals. It was suggested by another responder and I concur.

It takes a little getting used to but once you've mastered them you won't regret it.

Flat shoes are used mainly for MTB's and Enduro/ Downhill riding.