Wahoo Tickr II HR Monitor

Ant in the NL

Hi folks, is the monitor any good? Replacing my MARVEL (Chris Willemse + Cycle Lab brand) monitor and wanted to know if it's an 'upgrade'? New I can get it for R999

8 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Hi folks, is the monitor any good? Replacing my MARVEL (Chris Willemse + Cycle Lab brand) monitor and wanted to know if it's an 'upgrade'? New I can get it for R999

How is the marvel one holding up? Do you have any problems with it?

1 minute ago, Ruben Hechter said:

How is the marvel one holding up? Do you have any problems with it?

The Marvel unit doesn't seem to like my skin contact area 😆, my partner has one and hers is 100%, mine on the other hand has an issue with sendi9ng feedback to my fitness app/device. It freezes and either doesn't come back on or skips between HR values quite erratically (ie: from 55bpm - 175bpm....then down to 50bpm) It's my second replacement unit so CWC has refunded me. It worked like a charm when I was on a bicycle, but since I've been on a stationary bike it's given issues (I use a XOSS GPS+ unit on the bike)

I had the previous Tickr - so probably not a good data point but it stopped working after a couple of years of frequent use. It also had issues when mounted upside - no idea why or how but it definitely made a difference. Ended up replacing it with a Polar H9 as recommended by DCRainmaker and am happy so far - although I miss the little indicator lights.

These guys are offering a 10% discount on an H9 https://ihfproducts.co.za/products/polar-h9-heart-rate-sensor

I took my tickr out the drawer the other day after not using it for several years (I use a Garmin watch for HR now) Put a new battery in and it worked straight away.

They do seem to go through batteries faster than other units but the little flashy lights to show you it's working is a nice plus for me.

Well worth the money IMO.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Different experience here. 2x Tickrs died in one year. Both replaced under warranty by by iKhambi within days of logging the claim, so at least support is good.

Failure mode seems to be sweat ingress at the battery cover which kills the electronics quick quick...corroded battery is one telltale sign.

I'll be putting extra insulation tape over the battery cover this time round and hold thumbs,  since my warranty period is now over.

I have had some issues with Garmin pod on Garmin Belt, Garmin Pod on Wahoo strap and one small solution I found is to use a bit of Conduction gel(ultra sound gel) on the belt pads, get some gel from Dischem and try.

Ridden tickrs since 2018. Got problems with 2 of them - erratic readings etc. Support was great and they replaced both without any fuss. I now just rinse the unit and the strap after rides. Especially on the trainer. Been smooth sailing so far. 

I have been through 4 tickr units in the past 2 years, waiting on my 5th one from Ikambi, all replaced under warranty, and it has been a very easy experience, honestly won't be buying one again with my own money, but as long as they are replaced under warranty I will keep using them.

As Duane has said, sweat ingress is the main cause, i do however log 15-20 hours a week, Monday to Friday indoors, so there is a lot of sweat, and I do clean everything after each ride, just rinse with water.

If i had to buy a new unit, i would most probably go back to a Garmin sensor.

Seems like is defs a sweat/moisture issue. Riding on the road with the Marvel sensor didn't cause any dramas, but on a spinning/stationary bike it's been pretty crappy. Tks for the advice on the ultrasound gel and ride & rinse suggestions.  

11 minutes ago, MysticBlack said:

I have been through 4 tickr units in the past 2 years, waiting on my 5th one from Ikambi, all replaced under warranty, and it has been a very easy experience, honestly won't be buying one again with my own money, but as long as they are replaced under warranty I will keep using them.

As Duane has said, sweat ingress is the main cause, i do however log 15-20 hours a week, Monday to Friday indoors, so there is a lot of sweat, and I do clean everything after each ride, just rinse with water.

If i had to buy a new unit, i would most probably go back to a Garmin sensor.

15 - 20hrs...a week....fml....that's wild....😎💪🏼