Gravel-ish routes in the Merrivale-Howick area

mecheng89

Good morning, Hubbers!

Going away for the long weekend to Merrivale/Howick area, and keen to try some of the gravel-ish routes there again (gravel bike friendly).

Home base will be Merrivale, so anything North of there if suit me best.

What can the Natal residents recommend? 

From the initial plotting I've done on Strava, it's not road condition I should worry about, it's elevation gain.

8 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Going away for the long weekend to Merrivale/Howick area, and keen to try some of the gravel-ish routes there again (gravel bike friendly).

Home base will be Merrivale, 

Check out this gravel race held there recently. You might be able to pick up a route??

Screenshot_20230917-203302.png

You should be spoiled for choice but suggest starting at Karkloof Country Club (off P141), down past Cramond towards Albert Falls, a short stretch of the horrible R33 then up to Mbona (and the P141 again) and back to Karkloof cc. If you still have legs up Khyber Pass to Nottingham Rd or Balgowan and back to Karkloof on another loop closer to the N3. BUT easy to get lost in the area and there are a few dead ends so best have some mapping.

Ride to Karkloof Falls if open (and loop back to Karkloof cc with a bit of simple single track).  You will get plenty of ascent methinks.

Some nice loops in and around Karkloof. You are going to hit some hills though!

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

You should be spoiled for choice but suggest starting at Karkloof Country Club (off P141), down past Cramond towards Albert Falls, a short stretch of the horrible R33 then up to Mbona (and the P141 again) and back to Karkloof cc. If you still have legs up Khyber Pass to Nottingham Rd or Balgowan and back to Karkloof on another loop closer to the N3. BUT easy to get lost in the area and there are a few dead ends so best have some mapping.

Ride to Karkloof Falls if open (and loop back to Karkloof cc with a bit of simple single track).  You will get plenty of ascent methinks.

Following from mazambaan this is the loop we did for SA Gravel Champs - https://www.strava.com/activities/9639134603

Most of that route should be pretty accessible as well as Karkloof is pretty well sign posted.