Trek E-Caliber (E-Bike vs Analogue Mode)

Cassie Nel

Good evening all

I have had my E-Caliber for a month now and love it.Ā šŸ„°

I have done more "analogue" rides now than e-bike rides - the reason why I bought it - to use both modes.

Question : Can I enter a "race" or an "event" in "Analogue" mode?

For those that do not know - you remove the motor and the battery and replace it with a hollow down tube.

@chrisf and others - I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

CassieĀ 

13 minutes ago, Cassie Nel said:

Good evening all

I have had my E-Caliber for a month now and love it.Ā šŸ„°

I have done more "analogue" rides now than e-bike rides - the reason why I bought it - to use both modes.

Question : Can I enter a "race" or an "event" in "Analogue" mode?

For those that do not know - you remove the motor and the battery and replace it with a hollow down tube.

@chrisf and others - I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

CassieĀ 

You remove the battery and replace with an empty coverĀ 

Ā 

The motor stays , its the whole BB of the bike and is a central part of the bike.

Ā 

Frame also doesn't have a BB shell just motor mounts.

Ā 

That fazua motor disconnects when not powered to give the impression of normal pedaling, you do turn one or two extra seals but the friction is minimalĀ 

10 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

You remove the battery and replace with an empty coverĀ 

Ā 

The motor stays , its the whole BB of the bike and is a central part of the bike.

Ā 

Frame also doesn't have a BB shell just motor mounts.

Ā 

That fazua motor disconnects when not powered to give the impression of normal pedaling, you do turn one or two extra seals but the friction is minimalĀ 

Hi BaGearA

No, that's incorrect.Ā  You remove the motor as well - the tube replacing it is completely empty.

Kind regards

CassieĀ 

Cassie at the fun rides nobody cares in the fun groups.

Ā 

You may encounter some resistance in points events, especially at the front.

Ā 

Ā 

Nothing stops you from speaking to the organiser and asking ....Ā šŸ‘Ā Ā 

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Cassie at the fun rides nobody cares in the fun groups.

Ā 

You may encounter some resistance in points events, especially at the front.

Ā 

Ā 

Nothing stops you from speaking to the organiser and asking ....Ā šŸ‘Ā Ā 

Naand Chris

Thank you - I have an e-bike entry but might change it if I feel up to it at the end.

I have emailed the organisers.

Much appreciated (and thanks for all your input(s)

Cheers

CassieĀ 

One bike, two ways to love it

Turn your E-Caliber into an incredible analogue XC bike by removing the Fazua motor and replacing the battery with the included hollow downtube insert. You'll save up to 2.7 kg and create a drag-free ride that feels just like a Supercaliber.

24 minutes ago, Cassie Nel said:

Hi BaGearA

No, that's incorrect.Ā  You remove the motor as well - the tube replacing it is completely empty.

Kind regards

CassieĀ 

Please post a picture once you've done it šŸ‘

Just watched a Trek video and a non-Trek brand video, both sharing the Fazua motor+battery combo; as an eBike rider, of many years, was not even AWARE of this, though I had heard of Fazuaā€¦

Very clever system, I just learnt something cool!
Good luck in your race

Chris

Edited by Zebra

28 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Just watched a Trek video and a non-Trek brand video, both sharing the Fazua motor+battery combo; as an eBike rider, of many years, was not even AWARE of this, though I had heard of Fazuaā€¦

Very clever system, I just learnt something cool!
Good luck in your race

Chris

Good evening @Zebra

The more I ride it, the more I love it.Ā  Ā It is not as quiet as the Trek E-Fuel for sure, but it has a load of people guessing in what " mode" you are.Ā  If I has the $$ the 360 watt E-Fuel would have been my number 1 choice.Ā  ( E-Caliber is only 250 watt)Ā 

We have a super group of riders here in Wilderness and I decided to do a group ride in "Analogue " mode.Ā  We did about 800 meter of ascent and I did not compete with the silver bullets.Ā  I was in each sector a minute or two later.Ā  Ā At our koffie break .. I took out the empty tube and presented them with the reason I fell behind - no motor / battery - just an empty tube.Ā šŸ˜‡

So I am not "Analogue " fit and the bike weighs between 16 and 18 kg would be my guess vs some bikes at 9 kg in our group.Ā  Anyway - go my a$$ kicked ;)

But yes, no I just train harder without the motor and when we do a long ride I take the e-bike mode and then it is pure assistance as it is only good for about 40-50km if you do not assist a lot.Ā  Ā I have not done a 100 yet - will most probably do it this week but I did a 84 km with a 900 m climb with ease.Ā  So a 100 is within reach.

A very cool system - it fits my complicated circumstances/age/comorbidities etc.

Groete

CassieĀ 

IMG_1016.jpeg.4e030c9fe0a89741ed9c5b459fb8d18b.jpeg

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Hi @BaGearA
Herewith the battery and motor on a (bathroom) scale. Ā Dont quote me on the exact weight. Ā šŸ«£
I have triple checked.. Of course you can leave the motor inside this tube and just take the battery put but that defeats the object.
My guess is the battery weighs about 1 kg and therfore the motor and tube combo about 2,4 kg.
Ā 

MĆ“re info nextĀ 

IMG_1016.jpeg

Edited by Cassie Nel
Photo not uploaded?

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Hallo @BaGearA

Sorry, unsure why my photos are not displayed.

Either way - promise you - when you remove the downtube it includes the motor.

All that remains is a "gearbox" of some kind with a drive shaft / hub that you enclose with the empty "dummy" tube.

The engine / motor and battery weighs 3,4 kg.Ā  The replacement down tube weighs a few grams.Ā  I see on forums that cyclists use it to put their tools / jackets etc in it.

I hope my post helps any other people interested in the type of bike.

I will give feedback on what the race organisers say.

Thank you and kind regards

CassieĀ