Experience the Baviaanskloof by Mountain Bike

News bot

Eastern Cape Parks & Tourism Agency are inviting cycling enthusiasts and organised groups such as hiking, cycling, trail running clubs and tour operators to apply for permits to host small-scale nature-based events and adventure tourism experiences, and to taste true adventure in the Baviaanskloof reserve. To apply for an event permit, please contact Siyasanga Mabuyane via email, on Siyasanga.mabuyane@ecpta.co.za  or bulelani.silangwe@ecpta.co.za. A UNESCO World Heritage Site as well as a Cape Floristic Region protected area, Baviaanskloof (Valley of the Baboons) is a magnificent mountain kingdom spanning 2 040 km, boasting seven of South Africa’s nine biomes – fynbos, forest, grassland, succulent […]

View full article

Its good to see they're promoting Baviaans as a riding destination. Its nothing new though. Take a support vehicle for all your clobber and ride it. The EC tourism agency that runs the gates is however not very user friendly - they only take cash so if you're really unlucky you could drive 150km on rough dirt from the Willowmore side and find you can't get into the wilderness reserve because you only have a card. We did a trip years ago, before the reserve had gates and it was very straightforward. The road in the reserve area is far worse than it used to be but is more fun to ride than the awful corrugated district roads that precede it. If I was doing it again, I'd drive to the start of the reserve and only ride from there.

Edited by Headshot