Freedom Challenge Public Route

Kausie

Good evening,

I’d like to enquire if anyone has toured the Freedom Challenge route or parts of it whilst out of competition/ race time, specifically a public access route that avoids private farms. 

Alternatively advise on any GPS routing apps that may avoid said private farms specifically in SA. I’ve been let down by GoogleMaps and Komoot in the past.

Cheers,

Kausie

This is probably the best place to look / get information:  (From the FC website)

Touring the Trail

The Freedom Trail is open all year round for touring groups of cyclists wishing to ride a portion of the trail outside of events and without strict event rules.

• Support vehicles are permitted (and encouraged)
  • GPS navigation permitted

• E-bikes permitted

Booking process:

• Plan your potential tour with friends and nominate a "Tour Leader" within your group to complete booking process
  • Feel free to give us a call if you have any queries whilst planning (078 702 9178)

• Confirm tour request via email (info@freedomchallenge.org.za)

• We will make booking inquiries and prepare a proposed itinerary and associated quote for your tour

• Confirm your booking with 20% deposit payment

• Balance due 21 days prior to departure

Basic info:

• We request that all people who wish to ride any portion of the trail do so through us as there are specific land traversing permissions and rules that must be adhered to for us to maintain our relations with all land owners and stake holders

• Traversing permissions and tours along the Freedom Trail are all negotiated on the basis of riders using the "Support Station" accommodation

• Touring on the trail costs approximately R850pppd including accommodation, meals and traversing permissions (ex VAT). Pre-arranged lunch stops are additional. 

• We highly recommend touring with at least one person who has been on the trail before so that they can help you adequately prepare yourself and your expectations

• Tours can be arranged along any part of the trail outside of event times as long as there is availability 

• There are certain portions where the touring route differs slightly to racing routes but we will advise you on these if need be

• We can customise the tour to suit your group's pace and accommodation requirements

• We do  not currently have guaranteed provision of guides of support drivers but we can assist your group with suggestions for logistics

• GPS devices and support vehicles are permitted

• We can prepare a customised GPS file for your tour using Ride With GPS. Please note that tour groups must please sign NDA to obtain GPS files. 

37 minutes ago, Dogs said:

This is probably the best place to look / get information:  (From the FC website)

Touring the Trail

The Freedom Trail is open all year round for touring groups of cyclists wishing to ride a portion of the trail outside of events and without strict event rules.

• Support vehicles are permitted (and encouraged)
  • GPS navigation permitted

• E-bikes permitted

Booking process:

• Plan your potential tour with friends and nominate a "Tour Leader" within your group to complete booking process
  • Feel free to give us a call if you have any queries whilst planning (078 702 9178)

• Confirm tour request via email (info@freedomchallenge.org.za)

• We will make booking inquiries and prepare a proposed itinerary and associated quote for your tour

• Confirm your booking with 20% deposit payment

• Balance due 21 days prior to departure

Basic info:

• We request that all people who wish to ride any portion of the trail do so through us as there are specific land traversing permissions and rules that must be adhered to for us to maintain our relations with all land owners and stake holders

• Traversing permissions and tours along the Freedom Trail are all negotiated on the basis of riders using the "Support Station" accommodation

• Touring on the trail costs approximately R850pppd including accommodation, meals and traversing permissions (ex VAT). Pre-arranged lunch stops are additional. 

• We highly recommend touring with at least one person who has been on the trail before so that they can help you adequately prepare yourself and your expectations

• Tours can be arranged along any part of the trail outside of event times as long as there is availability 

• There are certain portions where the touring route differs slightly to racing routes but we will advise you on these if need be

• We can customise the tour to suit your group's pace and accommodation requirements

• We do  not currently have guaranteed provision of guides of support drivers but we can assist your group with suggestions for logistics

• GPS devices and support vehicles are permitted

• We can prepare a customised GPS file for your tour using Ride With GPS. Please note that tour groups must please sign NDA to obtain GPS files. 

Exactly as @Dogs has suggested booking a tour via Freedom Challenge is the best bet! They manage everything you need for land access and accommodation. 

16 hours ago, Kausie said:

Good evening,

I’d like to enquire if anyone has toured the Freedom Challenge route or parts of it whilst out of competition/ race time, specifically a public access route that avoids private farms. 

Alternatively advise on any GPS routing apps that may avoid said private farms specifically in SA. I’ve been let down by GoogleMaps and Komoot in the past.

Cheers,

Kausie

get hold of the FC crew as mentioned. They have a HUGE task managing landowner relations and any renegade FC lite tours puts this in jeopardy if/when something goes wrong.

but in saying that, there are masses of open public roads out there, You can explore in so many places in this wonderful country. If you want the interesting private stuff then you have to do the hard yards yourself in finding and negotiating with landowners, or pay the small fee to the people who have done that in order for you to have a "managed" route.

I'd give you some tools in order to find public/private areas, but if you're asking on an open forum then I'd rather not risk it. Do a bit more homework if it's what you really want to do. It takes a lot of time and exploring to open relationships with the farming crowd in general.

Thanks so much @Dogs& @Robin for the reply.

I have contacted Mr Fisher privately, but unfortunately he hasn’t been able to source a public access route as of yet likely due to issue of land owners permissions as mentioned. I will therefore seriously consider subscribing to the route for the privilege of riding through stunning scenery.

Thank you @Shebeen, I am very cognisant of private land ownership hence have always attempted to plan unknown routes accordingly. I’ll message you privately for said ‘tools’.

Best,

Kausie