Official Statement: 2023 FNB Wines2Whales Stage 1 Route Change

News bot

I hope they didnt send you down the same trails that were 'chocolate mousse' for us on Stage 2 of the Chardonnay! After pushing through the mud up Protea Alley and then trying to carry our bikes, the only way to get through the quagmire, through Rietvlie Magic, washing our bikes, for the fourth time in the last 3 hours, in the dam at the end, we pulled the plug. Flagged down a motorbike marshall, and asked him to guide us out of the mudbath on a ridable trail back to Oak Valley. No fun for the back markers, we should have been warned that the trails would be unridable. I was very thankfull that I was not staying in the tents, the cold and marshlike conditions around the camp were not great. Day 3 was an enjoyable day of riding, but at the end, in the hospitality tent, with no Lager left on sale and the under cooked, raw pizzas served, the only form of replenishment for a hard few hours of riding, was not enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, V18 said:

My first W2W done and dusted (very dusted). Ended up being quite the workout. But nothing too serious. (My prep was daily commute and weekend 2hr-ish rides.)

One thing I'll bring along next time, a proper air mattress. The one provided (blue tent option) was soft, thin and dirty with a plastic bag around it. (don't take the bag off, 2 wolf spiders came out of mine.)

The fnb recharge zone was amazing. Far enough from the loud music/commentary. Good wifi. Just too few poefsakke to accommodate us all. 

Food was ok. Breakfast was the best. 

Two wolf spiders?! Like really?  F*ckit, I would have been out of there faster than you could say "two wolf spiders" and would have probably demolished half the tent city during my seedy departure, never to be seen again at the W2W's.

Hahaha. My powerbank made quick work of them. Too cramped and dark for a controlled catch and release. I did utter the recommended "p-bomb" that seemed to be the theme of the day on stage 2 with them knee deep mud puddles. 

Raced Chardonnay, Day 2 was a absolute mess but overall great event.

Only negative feedback: the speakers are just too loud. Its absolutely deafening. Specially in the start shoot.