947 Ride Joburg GPX routes from 1997 to 2022

Joe_

Good day,

I'm looking for all the 947 race routes from 1997 to 2022 in GPX format. I would appreciate it if you could please post whichever year's race routes you have.

Thanks.

Problem with getting gpx for older routes is that there really weren’t cycling gps devices back then. 

I started using my phone to record rides in 2010, so I have a few from then to 2022

will try and get them exported to gpx when infront of the pc again. 

Edited by The Ouzo

I have the routes in Strava from 2009, and I remember sharing the routes on BikeHub.

i can share the Strava routes tomorrow, and perhaps find the post with all the routes from possibly 2002.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

I have the routes in Strava from 2009, and I remember sharing the routes on BikeHub.

i can share the Strava routes tomorrow, and perhaps find the post with all the routes from possibly 2002.

Yeah when I saw the thread pop up I initially thought it was that same thread where you had shared the routes previously. 

2008 went through town, and I remember the accelerations out the left-right turns to stay with the bunch. Shouldn't be hard to recreate this one. 

post-2030-0-14068300-1353755112_thumb.pn

947 Cycle Challenge 2008.gpx

947 Cycle Challenge 2007.gpx

947 Cycle Challenge 2006.gpx

2008 was the fastest route, and also the shortest (92Km). We finished on the main road (R55) on the uphill before Waterfall drive (before the left turn to the Waterfall Equestrian Estate was finished). The year prior (2007) we finished in the uphill towards the polo fields (to the right of the R55) and the year before that (2006) was the wet year, where we finished on the main road too (I have a photo of me crossing the line in the wet).

2002 - 2005 all started in Woodmead, and headed out on the M1, and all finished on the track. 

947 Cycle Challenge 2002.gpx

Edited by Frosty

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 12:06 PM, Joe_ said:

Good day,

I'm looking for all the 947 race routes from 1997 to 2022 in GPX format. I would appreciate it if you could please post whichever year's race routes you have.

Thanks.

Now that you have this info, what do you plan to do with it?

4 minutes ago, Joe_ said:

@mecheng89 I'm going to analyse the thermal comfort levels for riders and spectators along the various routes. 

Geewiz, OK. 

Aren't those subjective though? Some people prefer the heat, whereas the most I would presume do not.

28 minutes ago, Joe_ said:

@mecheng89 I'm going to analyse the thermal comfort levels for riders and spectators along the various routes. 

share some of this info here. It may just be interesting