Gansbaai to Cape Agulhas route needed

BrandonH

Howzit all!

I'm planning a little Feb trip and want to do a 2-day ride from Gansbaai to Cape Agulhas and back, not sure if there are any good routes, but want to do as much gravel/ off the tarmac as possible, any tips/ route options would be great, don't mind changing it up from a different starting point, but looking for around 70-100km per day riding in and out. 

When I enquired about riding down to Arniston from Greyton I was told the tar roads there are narrow with no verges and bakkies drive at speed on the long straights...and most of the gravel roads are too sandy...but let's see if anyone has some other info...

@guidodg thanks for the reply, yeah ive never done a multi day trip with a bicycle, but don't want to do the obvious Cederberg option. So looking for something slightly different (And safe of course) don't feel like wrestling with speeding farm bakkies

5 minutes ago, BrandonH said:

@guidodg thanks for the reply, yeah ive never done a multi day trip with a bicycle, but don't want to do the obvious Cederberg option. So looking for something slightly different (And safe of course) don't feel like wrestling with speeding farm bakkies

Out of interest why the hesitation to do the Cederberg circuit? It really is a special place to spend time on a bicycle! 

As an aside I've unfortunately been buzzed by the white bakkie brigade on a lot of gravel roads but didn't have any issues in the Cederberg.

The route is actually quite nice and fairly safe, shoulder good and there are some gravel options.  You can go via 1 Murasie, Elim, Oystercatcher, Agulhas or 2 Murasie, Wolvengat, Oystercatcher, Agulhas or 3 Pearly beach, die dam. Oystercatcher, Agulhas.  The Agulhas plain road (gravel) can be quite amazing in terms of birds etc.  Can send you gpx or kml files if you wish

Hi all

Check out bicyclesouth.co.za/bikepacking-routes/ (lots of routes that can be tweaked)

There are lots of dirt roads where minimal tar is needed to get down to Cape Agulhas. Myself and 3 others did a trip from Grabouw to Hartenbos and we covered the southern part of this coast as much as possible. 

Another thing if you signed up with Strava Premium you have access to heatmaps and these give you an indication of how routes are used and if there is a gate, or private land. 

8 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

Out of interest why the hesitation to do the Cederberg circuit? It really is a special place to spend time on a bicycle! 

As an aside I've unfortunately been buzzed by the white bakkie brigade on a lot of gravel roads but didn't have any issues in the Cederberg.

So I’ve spent a lot of time in the cederberg, absolutely love it and ride there a lot on my motorcycle. Just wanted to do something different 👍

8 hours ago, Goosebay said:

The route is actually quite nice and fairly safe, shoulder good and there are some gravel options.  You can go via 1 Murasie, Elim, Oystercatcher, Agulhas or 2 Murasie, Wolvengat, Oystercatcher, Agulhas or 3 Pearly beach, die dam. Oystercatcher, Agulhas.  The Agulhas plain road (gravel) can be quite amazing in terms of birds etc.  Can send you gpx or kml files if you wish

Thanks! If you’re happy to share, that would be awesome. 🤙

Just use Google Maps to decide on a route, there is a great combination of tar and dirt and the scenery is fantastic. On the flats the Southeaster can sometimes be a real challenge. Time it so that you start really early if you expect a headwind because it is lighter and gets stronger during the day. Start later if you expect a tailwind, and get the most help from it.

From Gansbaai I usually take a left at Pearly beach, go through Baardskeerdersbos and Elim (all tar, mostly with a wide shoulder and in good condition)), then right on a dirt road (not sure what it is called, but it is hard dirt and wide, but with potholes depending on the rains, very doable on a gravel bike) that leads to Struisbaai and the last bit of tar to Agulhas. The roads are not busy and there are not a lot of large trucks on it. And don't worry about the white bakkie brigade, they are usually very friendly and not in a rush and always ready for a friendly chat.

The Wolvengat rd is quite sandy at the moment, but a nice grind none the less.  If you go to die Dam (not attached but easy to follow) you can have a lekka swim in the sea before you head inland.  You then go inland via gravel road to the Black Oystercatcher, either directly or via Wolvengat.

Hope this helps. 

We did an Overberg multiday ride and found the road from Botriver to Theewaterskloof dam (think it is called van der stel pass) very pleasant and beautiful - last year the gravel road was in good nick.  We then followed the river to Greyton (for frequent dips - was hellishly hot).  From Greyton to Riviersonderend also gravel again staying close to the river - had a great swim as we left Greyton and again just before Riviersonderend.  From Riviersonderend gravel road past the Ruan private school to Napier, and gravel to Struis - all was in good nick.  We  next to overnighted

gansbaai murasie elim.gpx gansbaai murasie elim.kml gansbaai murasie wolvengat.gpx gansbaai murasie wolvengat.kml

If you want a longer ride there are loads of gravel loops, but let me know and and can show you some further options.  I see somebody mentioned heatmaps - a bit of a bugbear for us as mtb's have been banned from certain farms because of entitled mtb'ers following previous trails that were only open on special occasions.  The lighthouse to lighthouse race also followed some paths on private land and reserves.

1 hour ago, BrandonH said:

Thanks! If you’re happy to share, that would be awesome. 🤙

Not sure when you're thinking of going, just be aware that it's bound to a bit dusty now with the vegetation being burnt. Think the fire that's ravaged the Die Dam/Buffelsjag area might still be burning. Quite a large tract of land already ravaged 😢

25 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Not sure when you're thinking of going, just be aware that it's bound to a bit dusty now with the vegetation being burnt. Think the fire that's ravaged the Die Dam/Buffelsjag area might still be burning. Quite a large tract of land already ravaged 😢

good point, apparently it's under control but was very large. would be an interesting ride

1 hour ago, Goosebay said:

If you want a longer ride there are loads of gravel loops, but let me know and and can show you some further options.  I see somebody mentioned heatmaps - a bit of a bugbear for us as mtb's have been banned from certain farms because of entitled mtb'ers following previous trails that were only open on special occasions.  The lighthouse to lighthouse race also followed some paths on private land and reserves.

The data is out there, but people still need to follow the rules. Just like you can find the recipe for napalm easily on the internet, it doesn't give people an excuse to build firebombs.

The best method is to track down the chops who ruin it for the rest of us, and name and shame them on social media hard.