Cow and Bull MTB & Gravel Endurance Ride organised by Ultimate Trail Adventures

danie0200

Dear Hubbers,

Hope you're well

I want to share my recent experience with you regarding an MTB event (Cow and Bull MTB & Gravel endurance ride on 03 Feb 2024) that I was eager to participate in. However, after diving into the details, I've decided not to proceed, and here's why:

Firstly, the event was advertised at Grootfontein MTB Park, leading me to assume the majority of the route would occur at this venue. However, to my disappointment, this wasn't the case, as the route barely touched the MTB park itself and ventured into the Bronkhorstspruit region.

Secondly, there are safety concerns surrounding the route, with a lot of recent muggings and bike thefts in the area. While security measures were promised as part of the entry, they can't guarantee the safety of riders.

Thirdly, the lack of a refund policy is concerning. It seems unjust to take my money without any recourse, especially when the event details were not as I expected.

Additionally, the organizers were unwilling to share detailed information to anyone prior to registration, citing safety reasons. This forced me to commit before knowing all the facts, only to find out later that the event wasn't what I anticipated.

In my correspondence with the organizers expressing my disappointment, their response was unsatisfactory, essentially admitting they have no refund policy. There's also nothing on the same topic on the website entry page.

This experience has left me feeling misled and frustrated. The event's registration / marketing platform's name, "Racepass," is also misleading, and the clarity of the event's nature only became apparent after registration. It would've been perfectly acceptable to add into the event details that this is not a race, but a social / non competitive ride.

Moving forward, I won't be participating in any future events organised by this group. I feel it's important to share my experience on social media to ensure others are informed before they commit.

Thoughts?

Ride safe,
Danie

Myself, my daughter and a few friends rode the 87km version on Saturday, we all really enjoyed the route and had a great day out. Will definitely do it again. Oh and probably had one of the best boerie rolls afterwards with a ice cold beer....included in entry fee!!

I entered and understood from a couple of Google searches that this is a training ride where one can test your nutrition and GPS navigation skills. Not sure what 165km INSIDE of Grootfontein would like, my knees hurt just thinking about that... 

Tough day out, would probably do it again. 

1 hour ago, danie0200 said:

Firstly, the event was advertised at Grootfontein MTB Park, leading me to assume the majority of the route would occur at this venue. However, to my disappointment, this wasn't the case, as the route barely touched the MTB park itself and ventured into the Bronkhorstspruit region.

As per the info on their various pages, one could gather logically this would be taking place (only starting at GFBP) on country roads, eg this one.  (~160k in a bike park, with GPX tracks supplied?)

Secondly, there are safety concerns surrounding the route, with a lot of recent muggings and bike thefts in the area. While security measures were promised as part of the entry, they can't guarantee the safety of riders.

See here and the comments here eg.  (TBH - how can safety be 'absolutely' guaranteed?)

Thirdly, the lack of a refund policy is concerning. It seems unjust to take my money without any recourse, especially when the event details were not as I expected.

They do have to commit on expenses, don't they?

This experience has left me feeling misled and frustrated. The event's registration / marketing platform's name, "Racepass," is also misleading, and the clarity of the event's nature only became apparent after registration. It would've been perfectly acceptable to add into the event details that this is not a race, but a social / non competitive ride.

Not my experience when considering the available information.

(Couldn't  participate this time but all required info was supplied - IMHO)

Moving forward, I won't be participating in any future events organised by this group. I feel it's important to share my experience on social media to ensure others are informed before they commit.

You will be missing out - but maybe it is better for them and you this way.

Thoughts?

You missed out.

Ride safe,

Thanks, you too, regards from Pieter.
Danie

Edited by Pieter-za

I did it last year, was a good ride, lekker to have good waterpoints on my usual riding routes. Good training ride and lekker gees. Boerie roll is always a win at the end. Entry fee was really not bad either.

160km singletrack would take forever to ride. As it is singletrack in gp is a joke with winding back and forward aimlessly trying to get distance so your strava looks like someone chundered spaghetti on the map. At least this route has varying scenery and you actually cover some good ground.

Certain riding venues in pta east had incidents around security on their trails inside the parks, so you are no safer there than on the lovely open gravel roads far from people.