I need advice...

Cycling 4020

Hi guys. Hope everyone is doing well. I need advice following a strip of a hub so said from my local mechanic. I don't currently have the bike with me so I can't tell you what hub it is, but apparently it's nation wide out of stock. My current wheelset is a Stanch Arch mk3. 

He advised me to build a whole new wheelset with rims, spokes and hubs( R8000). My question is: Can't I just replace the broken hub? Why build a whole new wheelset. Or should I buy a second hand Carbon wheelset. I've seen a few for around R8000 with nonboost hubs. Can I convert this to boost? Any advice would be appreciated. Regards Jonny. 

18 minutes ago, Graham W said:

Time for a new LBS

just replace the hub get one with the same flange size then you can use the same spokes just replace the spoke nipples with new ones 

Maybe the hub is out of stock with no imminent availability, and there aren’t other options with the same flange and spoke count.

Given the age of the spokes, it may be best to replace all of them while building up the wheel.

Stans Arch mk3 are notorious for cracking round the spoke opening. 

Better understand the issues on hand before just saying find a new LBS

22 minutes ago, Graham W said:

Time for a new LBS

just replace the hub get one with the same flange size then you can use the same spokes just replace the spoke nipples with new ones 

Actually this happened to me. Why do they do that, do they think we won't get a second opinion? 

14 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Maybe the hub is out of stock with no imminent availability, and there aren’t other options with the same flange and spoke count.

Given the age of the spokes, it may be best to replace all of them while building up the wheel.

Stans Arch mk3 are notorious for cracking round the spoke opening. 

Better understand the issues on hand before just saying find a new LBS

Novatech hubs are available locally awesome quality around R1800.00

42 minutes ago, Graham W said:

Novatech hubs are available locally awesome quality around R1800.00

OP does not know what hubs are currently on his wheels, so these may not work with existing spokes

My comments 2 and 3 are still valid as well

Post some pics here tomorrow. Hubber will let you know ASAP. 8k sounds lekker duur

Lets say the hub is a write off without x part being available 

If there are no other hubs available + The Rim has cracks around the spokes holes + Being Old 

Then with a new spokes , nipples , tape and the labour 8k is not far off some mid ally stuff 

Lots of info + pictures would help a great deal 

To the OP...

WhatsApp me the details and as many pics as possible and I can give you a sensible way forward.

I wouldn't recommend rebuilding the Mk3 wheels as they WILL crack at the spoke holes.

Most cost effective solution is riding the front wheel as-is if it's ok, and building a new rear wheel.

I have some budget-friendly options.

Get me on 0.8.3.4.5.2.8.7.1.6