Best Road Bike for beginners.

Hello there,

I'm venturing into the world of road biking for the first time. I've been a cyclist for most of my life, starting with a Giant MTB and then transitioning to a Scott. Initially, I considered buying a second-hand bike to stay within my budget of R10K, but I struggled to find the right size (L). After seeking advice, I learned that a good aluminum frame with quality calipers would be a fantastic choice within my price range.

Here are the road bikes that have caught my eye, and I'm eager to hear any advice or pitfalls you may have encountered:

1. GIANT Contend 1 (2022)
  2. Scott Speedster 30 (2022)
  3. GIANT Contend 3 (2018)
  4. MERIDA Scultura 400

Looking forward to your insights!

12 minutes ago, SneezyDwarf said:

Hello there,

I'm venturing into the world of road biking for the first time. I've been a cyclist for most of my life, starting with a Giant MTB and then transitioning to a Scott. Initially, I considered buying a second-hand bike to stay within my budget of R10K, but I struggled to find the right size (L). After seeking advice, I learned that a good aluminum frame with quality calipers would be a fantastic choice within my price range.

Here are the road bikes that have caught my eye, and I'm eager to hear any advice or pitfalls you may have encountered:

1. GIANT Contend 1 (2022)
  2. Scott Speedster 30 (2022)
  3. GIANT Contend 3 (2018)
  4. MERIDA Scultura 400

Looking forward to your insights!

In that budget an alluminium frame is probably your best bet, not sure what calipers have to do with that(it’s a weird suggestion)🤣.. calipers are going to depend on the groupset you can get with it.. 

im a believer that you’ll notice a budget groupset over a budget frame.. so get the best groupset you can find even if the frame isn’t quite as good.. 

I have a 2018 Scott speedster with shimano 105.. it’s awesome.! If it had a lower groupset on it I might not love it as much.. 

big fan of Scott.. 

My 2c - aluminium frame is fine for a starting out - I had one for 10 years before going carbon. Its a bit heavier but for road riding that is less of an issue than for mtb'ing (in my biased opinion)

Groupset - I would be wary of going lower than Tiagra

Something to be aware off with a entry level road bike is that it is not cost effective to upgrade (other than the wheels), so you are mostly going to ride it as is until you have the budget to get a completely new bike where you will start from scratch.

Last, in that price range the bikes of all the big brands are fairly similar, you cant really go wrong, so just buy whatever brand/colour speaks to you the most.

Thank you for sharing your experience with exploring beginner bikes. I'm glad I followed your advice, which proved to be helpful in making a more informed decision. It's great that you're focusing on the quality of the groupset rather than just the frame, as that can significantly impact your riding experience.

The options you mentioned sound promising, and I managed to find more reasonably priced secondhand bikes:

1) The Kuota Kharma with a carbon frame and Shimano 105 components offers a blend of lightweight construction and reliable performance, which can be ideal for various riding conditions.

2) The Fuji Roubaix 1.0, also equipped with Shimano 105 components, is known for its smooth ride quality and responsiveness, making it a solid choice for those looking for a versatile bike.

Both options seem like they would serve me well, so it ultimately comes down to getting the most value for my money. Happy cycling!