Good quality Torque wrench

As others have mentioned, rather pay a bit more and it will last longer. Had a cheap torque wrench stop "clicking" on me. Thank goodness I noticed before I cracked something.

3 hours ago, Rich Stan said:

Where can I get a torque wrenche calibrated in JHB?

Maybe try Gedore SA in Lindbro Park. They did a calibration for me some time back.

Edit: I see the lab address and number is KZN. 

20240410_135108.jpg

Edited by Barry

Torque wrenches are obviously good for consistent settings, but especially on things like linkages or other areas that need to move freely,  i find that even when setting to recommended torque, its better to go by feel too to make sure it’s good. That feel is obviously something that comes with experience too.
No point in setting something at say 14NM and it’s ever so slightly binding. Yes the spec is technically right but its not optimal.You’ll cook the bearings anyway that way.

No one bolt is perfectly similar. Even grease on threads can affect how much torque it needs. You might think you are at 5NM but you are prolly less.

- Free, not too loose, just loose enough so its all nice and loosey goosey. No torque wrench has that setting. Feel it like you so a headset lol.

same with bar controls, even on carbon. Just tight enough. Not too tight. But tight.

Also, ignore Sram’s 54Nm recommendation on cranks unless you own a 2m extender or cut your cranks off each time. I make them tight…just a few white knuckles. And never have an issue.

same with pedals.