Trail or XC for Epic

Apologies if this thread has been posted but couldn't find in a search.

Good chance I'll be riding my first Epic next year and not allowed to ride my gravel bike 😅

So I've been wondering what the general consensus is between a Trail or XC setup. XC is faster / Trail more plush on the technical things.

Goals won't be to win (obvs) but still race hard, rode Origin of Trails last year on a Trail focused bike and felt a bit sluggish on the gravel road sections.

Is XC setup better for wanting to be on the sharper end, or does Trail comfortability come into play the deeper you go into the race?

Gracias 👋

Cool Rae should be fun,

The number of technical sections that a trail bike will benefit you is not that many compared to the number of miles you climb and ride on the flat, so definitely a XC with like 120mm travel is norm these days, tire choice is a bigger issue!

I'm with Abe on this one. A Trail bike will have you working a lot harder over the full week if you're at the sharp end and it's the accumulative fatigue that eventually gets you at the Epic.

Thee term these days is 'Down Country'....

Bear in mind XC bikes these days are longer and slacker than Trail bikes were less than 10 years ago!

Down Country 120mm bike will be the ticket! Enjoy