Tow bar bike rack problems

Spafsack

Hi gents

I started using my hold fast 3 bike carrier [i only use it for 2 x bikes always] but the weird thing is, it seems those rubber clamps or fittings are not wide enough for our bikes anymore. I know these types of bike racks are the cheapest way to transport your bike, but its really not working. On my sons bike, the one rubber mount / clamp only fits over his rear shock, its not ideal at all. My hold fast is plenty years old, maybe they or others have made changes. Are they safe to transport 2 x carbon DS bikes, one medium, one large, that's all i need.

I dont have bucks to invest in a massive platform type, unless i find it second hand for a good price. The other thing is, when you driving, the hold fast starts to tilt due to the wind [wheels of bikes are exposed more on one side] This is also something i have struggled with. Maybe there is a solution to keep this rack and just make it work? The issue is the size of rubber clamps, you really have to pull hard to get them tight, then its a massive mission to just get them loose again...? 

Maybe you should contact Holdfast for some assistance.  They helped me with a bracket once.

25 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Maybe you should contact Holdfast for some assistance.  They helped me with a bracket once.

I will try this. Maybe i am doing something wrong when trying to pull each bracket tight. It feels like the downtube of each bike are far wider than the rubber clamps. So when you try and stretch the rubber over and hook in, its almost impossible. In my mind, if those clamps are wider, i could make it work. Maybe other makes like Thule have wider ones or better construction, no idea...But we gonna be doing a few races this year and its all i have to transport our 2 x bikes.

5 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

I will try this. Maybe i am doing something wrong when trying to pull each bracket tight. It feels like the downtube of each bike are far wider than the rubber clamps. So when you try and stretch the rubber over and hook in, its almost impossible. In my mind, if those clamps are wider, i could make it work. Maybe other makes like Thule have wider ones or better construction, no idea...But we gonna be doing a few races this year and its all i have to transport our 2 x bikes.

If you post a couple of photos,  you would get better assistance from the hubbers.