Groupset choices, help

singletrackmind

The main diff seems to be that the Chorus and Record do multiple downshifts (to harder gears) in one button "sweep"' date=' while the Centaur does not i.e. one has to press the downshift button for each gear shift. However, both can do multiple upshifts with a sweep of the lever (to easier gears). I think the other diff is that the C & R have carbon weave or plain carbon shift leavers while the Centaur has carbon brake levers and black "plastic" type shift lever.

Unusually though, the Centaur Ergos are lghter than the Chorus:

Record = 324g

Centaur = 334g

Chorus = 348g.

cut cut cut

([/quote']

The weight difference in Record shifters is due to that shifter's ball bearings vs plain bearings. None of us wear out those plain bearings in anyway, so why bother?

For me the biggest difference in modern Campag shifters is that somehwere down the line the shifters don't have a trim feature anymore. Older Campag shifters all had the trim feature which I find very useful, but now it is only on the top two or three shifters.

In my view the small lever on Campag should not be made from carbon or plastic, but aluminium. I've broken two and in the end replaced them with that from a cheaper line because it is made of aluminium. Carbon is just wrong for that particular design and a silly choice of materials.

Its not really the weight im worried about here, i want to try the accura carbon derailers, but the crank and shifters are the problem choice

can i hi-jack quickly and just ask which campag are same level as which shimano ie. 105 = ?  and ultegra = ?  thanks.

ps if u feel this hjack is outta bounds let me knwo and ill create a new topic.

Carbon is just wrong for that particular design and a silly choice of materials.

Blasphemey!! Heretic! Wink

The bike industry went carbon mad a while ago, and still is. Imo carbon stems are not such a great idea, either.

can i hi-jack quickly and just ask which campag are same level as which shimano ie. 105 = ?  and ultegra = ?  thanks.

ps if u feel this hjack is outta bounds let me knwo and ill create a new topic.

105 = veloce

ultegra = centaur

dura-ace = chorus