Route suggestions for Mpumalanga, Swaziland and then back

Lammie

I need some advise from fellow cyclist?

Me and my wife will be doing a fund raiser ride, on a mtb tandem, for one of the local schools in September 

We did a 1600km ride last year from Johannesburg to Capetown on a known route but this year it is not a known route and I planned it from scratch. I used "Ride with GPS" and "track 4 Africa" to build our route. So I hope that the roads is actually ride able when we get there

We prefer to do gravel and stay of the main roads with trucks and traffic. I am using Ride with gps for navigation and no fancy Garmin /Wahoo devices. Also will be staying in local B&B's

If you have any knowledge about the towns we go through, can you confirm if the roads is ride able and do not have too much of traffic if it is on tar

We want to start at the school in Eloff (just outside of Delmas) and finish there 9 days later. 

The route is on the link, I do not know how to attach it

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/47059810

The route planned is :

(the distance is what I can remember from the top of my head) 

Day 1

Eloff - Bethal about 135km

According to the maps it will be 50 /50 gravel and smaller tar roads and pass at the back of Secunda 

Day 2 

Bethal - Piet Retief about 1700km. This will be our longest day in the saddle

Most of this route will follow the railway service road and also pass through Ermelo. This is the part I am not sure if the road is ride able. 

Day 3 

Piet Retief - Ezulwini about 110km

I have a friend in Swaziland that helped with the Swaziland part

Day 4 Ezulwini - Hlane about 110km

Day 5 Hlane to Bulembu 110km

Day 6 Bulembu - Kaapsehoop 130km

We will go via Barberton and I know the route to Barberton is very scenic and not to busy. From Barberton to Kaapsehoop I hope the road is not to busy

Day 7

Kaapsehoop - Dullstroom 130km

Not allot of gravel that I found 

Day 8

Dullstroom - before Bronkhorstspruit 130km 

Will be following parts of the Tonteldoos race route

Day 9 

Bronkhorstspruit - Eloff 100km

This area I know and have nice gravel roads to use 

Any advice or route suggestions will be greatly welcome and please feel free to ask if you need more info

Edited by Lammie

Hi Lammie - sorry can't help with intel on this but looking to ride something like this in August in touring mode, so just jumping in to see if you think it's suitable for a solo rider, and if finding B&Bs is likely to be fairly straightforward ? 

Cheers

Stephen

On 6/24/2024 at 1:12 PM, Lammie said:

I need some advise from fellow cyclist?

Me and my wife will be doing a fund raiser ride, on a mtb tandem, for one of the local schools in September 

We did a 1600km ride last year from Johannesburg to Capetown on a known route but this year it is not a known route and I planned it from scratch. I used "Ride with GPS" and "track 4 Africa" to build our route. So I hope that the roads is actually ride able when we get there

We prefer to do gravel and stay of the main roads with trucks and traffic. I am using Ride with gps for navigation and no fancy Garmin /Wahoo devices. Also will be staying in local B&B's

If you have any knowledge about the towns we go through, can you confirm if the roads is ride able and do not have too much of traffic if it is on tar

We want to start at the school in Eloff (just outside of Delmas) and finish there 9 days later. 

The route is on the link, I do not know how to attach it

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/47059810

The route planned is :

(the distance is what I can remember from the top of my head) 

Day 1

Eloff - Bethal about 135km

According to the maps it will be 50 /50 gravel and smaller tar roads and pass at the back of Secunda 

Day 2 

Bethal - Piet Retief about 1700km. This will be our longest day in the saddle

Most of this route will follow the railway service road and also pass through Ermelo. This is the part I am not sure if the road is ride able. 

Day 3 

Piet Retief - Ezulwini about 110km

I have a friend in Swaziland that helped with the Swaziland part

Day 4 Ezulwini - Hlane about 110km

Day 5 Hlane to Bulembu 110km

Day 6 Bulembu - Kaapsehoop 130km

We will go via Barberton and I know the route to Barberton is very scenic and not to busy. From Barberton to Kaapsehoop I hope the road is not to busy

Day 7

Kaapsehoop - Dullstroom 130km

Not allot of gravel that I found 

Day 8

Dullstroom - before Bronkhorstspruit 130km 

Will be following parts of the Tonteldoos race route

Day 9 

Bronkhorstspruit - Eloff 100km

This area I know and have nice gravel roads to use 

Any advice or route suggestions will be greatly welcome and please feel free to ask if you need more info

Sent you a PM for someone to possibly help.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26649606 - will this help? 

I have a book called: "Riding the Dragon's Spine" where they outline and even provide gpx files for most of what you're looking for. They even offer discounts at some of the guesthouses, if you choose the one they stayed at

https://bakgatbooks.co.za/product/riding-the-dragons-spine-david-bristow/

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Sommer

On 7/2/2024 at 6:14 AM, Kiwi_steve said:

Hi Lammie - sorry can't help with intel on this but looking to ride something like this in August in touring mode, so just jumping in to see if you think it's suitable for a solo rider, and if finding B&Bs is likely to be fairly straightforward ? 

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Stephen 

I would do it solo, if the silence is your thing. Our country have great dirt roads and scenery and the locals are friendly. The only Concern is trucks and drivers on cellphones

As for B&B - if you know what town you plan to stop you can use Lekkerslaap or TravelGround. Most small towns have a bed available 

We did a tour from JHB to Capetown last year and there was no  pedestrians on the road and fewer vehicles. Planned sleeping places before and confirmed the day on our way to that town.

Most towns have a take away or Spaza shop that sells Bully beef and noodles, thus food is sorted 😁

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26649606 - will this help? 

I have a book called: "Riding the Dragon's Spine" where they outline and even provide gpx files for most of what you're looking for. They even offer discounts at some of the guesthouses, if you choose the one they stayed at

https://bakgatbooks.co.za/product/riding-the-dragons-spine-david-bristow/

That Dragon spine looks like a great adventure even if you only do parts of it. It goes through some of my planned towns, but in the wrong direction. 

I found a new friend living in Swaziland who helped me with route suggestions there. 

Just the first 300km to Piet Retief I am still concerned. According to Ride with gps from Bethal to Piet Retief there is a railway service road I can use. 😀

Thanks Lammie - appreciate the intel. I am getting more relaxed about how to make this work with all the info people are offering.