Lake mx 219 cleats - any advice

Boktiet82

G'Day folks

I am in the market for a new pair of MTB cleats. These one's caught my eye and fall in my budget. Does anyone own these or had the them to test out? It's a pretty penny so want to make sure there are no "downsides" that is not in the media.

Any other recommendations of cleats that won't disintegrate in a year like my current pair of Scott's will also be appreciated. Budget till ~ R5k

I have them and have worn them flat out for a year and a half. No issues and still going hard. 

MTB and on the trainer. 

MX219 and MX238 have the same sole, difference is mainly the upper and 1 vs 2 boas.

for how much have you seen the 219? if its around the 4500 mark, i would hit your budget of 5k and go for the 238.

(update, lakes new years sale is over so i see the 238 is back up to 6500.

it is still 5k with the old supplier, pure motion, but sizes are limited.)

Edited by RossTopher
updated info

I have the 238s. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn. They are pretty tough too but I do give them a good clean and polish every now and again. That goes for any leather shoes though. The abrasion resistant material on them gives good coverage and works well. 

IMG_4630.jpeg.357e7f954976efa838c9a55f9715f6ab.jpeg

Yaaa the 238 are what you want.! That’s the dream.. I have the entry level mx177 and I love them.. so yeah, get Lake, they are the bomb.. 

think Lake are my shoe brand, when I upgrade it will be Lake as well..🤔

3 hours ago, Boktiet82 said:

G'Day folks

I am in the market for a new pair of MTB cleats. These one's caught my eye and fall in my budget. Does anyone own these or had the them to test out? It's a pretty penny so want to make sure there are no "downsides" that is not in the media.

Any other recommendations of cleats that won't disintegrate in a year like my current pair of Scott's will also be appreciated. Budget till ~ R5k

Highly recommended.

In my view, Lake are the finest shoes you can purchase, having sampled various other brands previously. Generally speaking, they are a bike fitter's dream as they provide a multitude of fitting options, particularly in terms of width - those with broader feet often find a superior fit with Lake's.

They offer a sizing guide on their website, and they're extremely responsive when you contact them. Should you wish to try a pair in person, you may visit Gear Change.

Each model features a different last, and the model you choose depends on the width and length of your feet. I currently own the MX332 and they are quite simply the best-fitting shoes I've ever had. I had the MX238 before, and again, experienced no issues.

These shoes utilise high-quality materials in their construction, which contributes to their longevity - they are durable.

I've had these for nearly a year; admittedly, they're a bit dirty from a ride yesterday. They show no visible signs of wear. Since purchasing them, they've endured stage races, gravel races, and a plethora of training rides in rain, mud, and sunshine, including the occasional hike-a-bike.
IMG_7724.jpg.021bb99788e1527c92f6b809de4dbe3d.jpg

Edited by Dappere
Updated image format

it took me a few years of rationalising my uncomfortable feet with other shoes (fizik, specialized, sidi), despite many bikefit James videos, and then last year i stumped up for MX238X and... oh my word!
so i treated myself to a pair of CX238X in Jan. Don't think i will change to another brand, despite them costing a vacation

21 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

it took me a few years of rationalising my uncomfortable feet with other shoes (fizik, specialized, sidi), despite many bikefit James videos, and then last year i stumped up for MX238X and... oh my word!
so i treated myself to a pair of CX238X in Jan. Don't think i will change to another brand, despite them costing a vacation

I picked up the phrase "Lake is a bike fitter's dream" from a video featuring Bikefit James. 😆

Thanks folks, seems i'm on the right path. Guess I'm going to spend more than I'm planning, which is on Par for any avid cyclist i guess.

Lake shoes are da bomb. 

Just make sure to use the correct website being lakecyclingsa.com and NOT lakecycling.co.za. It's a long story but in essence the second site belongs to the previous distributor who no longer has the rights. 

If you want any further info contact Kim who runs Lake locally and provides an awesome service. Her details are on the correct website.

Edited by Ozzie NL