Group Rides for an Absolute beginner

Harendran Govender

Hi there, looking absolute beginner to cycling here been racking my brain looking for clubs that will accomodate a beginner as I would like to train for the cycle tour next year however cycling solo seems a bit daunting given the possibility of being mugged. Any recommendations on what I should do or who I can contact or any safe routes that anyone might recommend- I am in the Rondebosch area.

29 minutes ago, Harendran Govender said:

Hi there, looking absolute beginner to cycling here been racking my brain looking for clubs that will accomodate a beginner as I would like to train for the cycle tour next year however cycling solo seems a bit daunting given the possibility of being mugged. Any recommendations on what I should do or who I can contact or any safe routes that anyone might recommend- I am in the Rondebosch area.

Are you riding a road or mountain bike ?  (dont want to assume road just because you are working towards CTCT)

Some of the local clubs - 

Cycling Clubs Western Cape

This seems like a really lekka bunch of riders  (though not right on your doorstep), from the more relaxed to the serious DC riders - The Home of The Outriders Cycling Club

The 5F Cycling Club are a really great bunch of people who are very welcoming of beginners and new members. Based in the South, their members are from Constantia, Tokai, Noordhoek, Fish Hoek and surrounds. Most rides either start in Tokai or Fish Hoek. You will find them on Facebook I think. 

6 minutes ago, Roadstorm said:

The PPA also has rides on a Saturday morning from there offices in Mowbray. There is a beginners, intermediate and experienced group.

Does this still happen? I saw this on their website and joined the whatsapp group but its been dead silent for about 2 weeks since I joined.

Contact them on 0216716340 or 083 414 1442 or email jannis@pedalpower.org.za. to confirm.