Broken Bridge on Spruit

Nancy Drew

Danger Dassie and friend Stefan, Wiseman and Anonymous Northcliff Cycles/Merida dude.... you are my new heroes!! ApproveHug

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Buying the materials was the easy part, but you guys unselfishly gave of your time on a very cold Jhb day to make the spruit safer for all of us!

ClapClapClapClapClapThumbs%20Up

Dirtbreath, I don't think anyone has approached city parks yet.... so if you're feeling the urge and have the time and patience, I for one would be extremely grateful!

btw I like the 'Wiseman's Crossing' idea Big%20smile

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I'll be taking on Parks.Ouch

Can someone who gets the Sandton Chronicle please send me the article about the teeter-totter and/or the name of the reporter. (pm me you e-mail address and I'll respond so we can get it that way).

Any photos of cyclists doing repairs are also appreciated.

While we are at it why not get any other areas that need a new bridge or existing bridge repaired to the Parks attention. (Spruit only) Just post it here.

Is it OK if we hijack this post for this reason or should we start a new one?

Dirt, all the other bridges along the route were set up by mountainbikes so it would be nice if the paper can know this. Somethng like "thanks to the annoying cyclist the walkers have nice crossings to use"

Para, are you riding on Saturday? If so, would you be keen on doing a reccie of all the bridges on the Spruit?

Start at the top at Alberts Farm and work down. Maybe even highlight problem areas where a bridge can be built.

I know a few MTB clubs have already done a lot of work on the Spruit.Clap Maybe chatting to these guys is the first step.

Para' date=' are you riding on Saturday? If so, would you be keen on doing a reccie of all the bridges on the Spruit?

Start at the top at Alberts Farm and work down. Maybe even highlight problem areas where a bridge can be built.

I know a few MTB clubs have already done a lot of work on the Spruit.Clap Maybe chatting to these guys is the first step.

[/quote']

That is 100% with me. 7:15am at the highest point on Albert's Farm.

Update:

Have spoken to one of the facilities managers at Jo'burg Parks. He has recommended I deal with the enviromental department who are moving office at the moment and dont have landlines.

I should be getting his cell no by end of play today.

See you there.Thumbs%20Up By highest point I presume you mean at the top of the rocky climb.

yip. but if you come from the other side it's alot easier.

Great Job with the bridge!!!! I had a mate fall there (and another 6 places ha ha) last week.

I'm not sure if the Sandton chronicles will be interested though as the bridge is out of their area. May need to try the Randburg Sun.

If you guys need any help on Saturday let me know.

For those of you how ride the Spruit a lot you will know that in front of fratteli is a donga that which has iover the last 3 years gone from a small channel to a river bed. Shouldn't we look at putting something across that? Maybe even a little jump (off the path ofcourse) to help riders get over it without slowing down. I find it a complete pain and will be happy to help mak it better.

Also seen quite a few falls there.

Caxton publish most if not all the "suburb" papers and they generate a lot of neighbourhood skinner so they are a great place to improve the image of mountain bikers on the spruit and other areas.

What I would like to achieve first is to document what is in place and it's current condition. First port of call is to repair and maintain what is there that is a safety hazard to all users.

City Parks are starting to take a more active role in their areas and I think by stroking their egos a bit we can get a lot more done. There has been a change in guards at Parks and from my brief discussion this morning the friendly attitude this guy had was amazing.

For those of you how ride the Spruit a lot you will know that in front of fratteli is a donga that which has iover the last 3 years gone from a small channel to a river bed. Shouldn't we look at putting something across that? Maybe even a little jump (off the path ofcourse) to help riders get over it without slowing down. I find it a complete pain and will be happy to help mak it better.

You guys may as well tar the Spruit. Ouch

Thanks everyone for your contribution. Much appreciated.  

The Spruit is my Saturday ride (sometimes Sunday).

Mampara I won't join you at Alberts. I'll ride in the opposite direction and hope to catch up with you at some point. Haven't seen you for ages.

I've  have been riding on my own since my accident. Needed time to get my confidence back.

We can compare notes on the bridges etc. if you would like to.

Anyone want to join me going up to Alberts from Fratellis at 7.30?

I love that ditch. It's a nice jump. Instead of covering it, rather build a jump.

I love that ditch. It's a nice jump. Instead of covering it' date=' rather build a jump.

[/quote']

I agree a jump it the way to go. That way i can show everyone in the fratteli parking lot my "big air 360 to nose grind  faceplant"

Ha HA that won't be embarrassing at all.

The woodwork was pobably relocated to some shack dwellers place of entertainment to fuel the fire for their Friday night p!ss-upAngry

Would that be Jody Shack Dweller oh no that was Jody SheckterBig%20smile