Broken Bridge on Spruit

Nancy Drew

Yep, had noticed your early morning posts with Samma. But I'm with DD on this one. I think it would be less painful. And I think that Superman would agree with us as well.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually through a mutual friendĀ I know HR is telling the truth. I wish I had the discipline he has.

I actually don't believe you.Big%20smileYing%20Yang

haha! i start work at 6' date=' so i get up very early everyday. i've been riding at 4.30 for the last week or so now that it's warming up. (ask samma, i was on the hub at about 2.30 this morn.) i need to up my hours, hence the 3.30 start. msbehavn will be joining me at 4, so you can ask her tomorrow. [/quote']

Ā 

It's true ... in fact, we were out on the road so early this morning we didn't even have the regular groupĀ of viciousĀ power walkers to contend with! LOL

I actually don't believe you.Big%20smileYing%20Yang

haha! i start work at 6' date=' so i get up very early everyday. i've been riding at 4.30 for the last week or so now that it's warming up. (ask samma, i was on the hub at about 2.30 this morn.) i need to up my hours, hence the 3.30 start. msbehavn will be joining me at 4, so you can ask her tomorrow. [/quote']

Ā 

It's true ... in fact, we were out on the road so early this morning we didn't even have the regular groupĀ of viciousĀ power walkers to contend with! LOL

Ā 

hey, good to know you have my back!Big%20smile

Well done guysStar. Cycling in Jhb in mid winter from res to Varsity for me years ago was with anorak, gloves and balaclava, sometimes around zero degrees.

Ā 

How about challenging the rest of your mates- find a way of insulating the brass and the fingers, toĀ get out there with you.

Ā 

If I wasn't in Mozambique I woud definitely join you.Ā Promise.Ying%20Yang

yang, because i wrecked my car on the way to induna last year, i rode my bike to jozi everyday during the worst of winter - including the week that it snowed. you're right, it's not nice, but you feelĀ better knowing that you're one of the few who brave it. it also gives you some appreciation for the poor guys who have no optionĀ but to cycle day-in,Ā day-out, as opposed to us hobbyists!

Ā 

and any time you're in jozi, look us up!Ā 

Hey, I was in Jozi in Sept '81, went riding in the snow then as well. MaybeĀ we canĀ meet up for a pre-race ride on the Saturday beforeĀ the 94.7.

Ā 

sjoe' date=' i was still in short pants at school when it came down in 81! school got closed for days! [/quote']

Ā 

Ha ha, when it came down in '81 I was still about 1 1/2 short of conception LOL

Ā 

Seriously though, I nearly ate it hard on that bridge. I've done that ride once with my GF 2 weeks ago and we were going sloooow. On Friday morning I did a ride by myself, came down the spruit with decent speed and went straight at the bridge. Braked too late and got all tangled up with foot on the bridge etc. Luckily I didn't gown. But it was awkward Confused

Ā 

Young guns like you will give me a sweat when I ride with you before the 94.7.

Ā 

But I haven't said this yet, and to keep this on track well done to Nancy Drew and DD to care enough to fix the bridge.

not me' date=' i'm old and slow! i don't know if i'd trust dd's handyman skills![/quote']

Ā 

Oh how I wish you were there, we could have used your thick skull as a support and chugged your beer...

Ā 

All done, however it is essentially a patch job as the entire bridge needs to be rubuilt.

The structure and support struts are already rotted and I give it one more summer rain.

Get this, some random oke living on one of the propertys came and helped us.. many thanks to Wiseman, reckon we now call that 'Wiseman's Crossing'

This guy just came and said he'd like to help, no expectation of payment or anything, just genuinly wanted to help, huge props Clap

And the rider on a Merida in Northcliff Cycles kit, even though he was out riding he was more than willing to help nail planks down or whatever.

Ā 

Funniest moment had to be when some dog walker came past and says "Oh thank god, the cyclists tear this bridge apart"

Ā 

"Actually no ma'am, the bridge is rotten and 'the cyclists' are the ones reparing the bridge"

Ā 

Never seen someone shutup so quickly Big%20smile

To ND and DD, well done.ClapThumbs%20Up

Ā 

Yang, you better look us up for a ride before the 94.7LOL. I haven't spoken porra for ages!!

Ā 

Well done guys.

Ā 

Is a beating on Parks door required to permanently repair? We wouldn't want to put something up lest someone hurts themselves. Has anyone approached Parks?

Ā 

If not I raise my hand to raise some hell. I shall get Sandton Chronicle to do a little bit of good work as well. Anyone take any pics of cyclists doing the good deed? If not maybe we can get you guys to pose with some hammers and that after the fact.