iBike power meter

_Daemon_

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's say you are very fit and your max hr is 190 and you train at avg. 165 regardless of how you feel for 2 hours over a very undulating road.. chances are that you are probably training at a relatively high intensity..

Not really sure what you are getting at here.. but in fact your point does demonstrate why HR training is flawed - in your scenario you may well be fatigued and as such putting out a relatively low power for the HR or effort level you are riding at. This is how many people ride themselves into a hole of fatigue. If on the other hand' date=' you are riding to a set range of power - then if you are too tired to achieve this level then you know that rest might be a good idea today..

Lets break it down - if you know what your threshold power is you can then calculate training zones to elicit certain training effects.

If you then set out on a session to achieve a certain training effect, let's say to increase aerobic endurance - then you can set out to ride in the zone that will elicit that response. The HR response to that is not really of any relevance because, if you are able to ride for the desired duration in the correct zone, then the training effect will be achieved.

[/quote']

I agree with you there. Although I do not train with power or follow a training program for that matter, I understand the very basic principles of power training. Thx to you and Bruch Tongue

All I am saying is you will be training at some level of intensity

based on the scenario I posted, whether you are fatigued or not.

Whether it will be of any benefit to you is another question.

That is my point - you may well be training at a much lower intensity than you think due to fatigue - but you won't know it with HR and as such are simply adding fatigue with little or no fitness benefit.

It doesn't help you can ride a 4h endurance ride on 5watts a kg but your HR is at 250. You will never make it. your heart needs to be trained aswell

Basic principles of training = all endurance cycling performance is limited only by CV capacity (heart/lungs)

If you don't have the CV capacity then you will not be able to ride at 5w/kg fo9r even 5 mins.

Power levels that you can ride at are dictated only by CV capacity in endurance cycling.

So bruce/bikemax' date=' you tell me you'll do all training based on power??[/quote']

Absolutely all of it (Bruce too unles he is sneaking in some extra HR sessions and not telling me Wink)

Then exactly. You need HR with power.

The consensus then apears to be that you either need both or you need neither?

Exactly what ???

You have given me no explanation at all for your conclusion that HR is necessary as well as power to achieve the best results.

Please take me through the logic ?

BikeMax' date=' what would you prefer? A iBike, a PowerTap or an SRM[/quote']

My preference would be a PT, then an SRM and then if I had no other option, an I bike.

If you want to be the best you need both

Do you think that if you keep repeating something then that makes it true Wink

The consensus then apears to be that you either need both or you need neither?

What consensus is that then Wink

You said it yourself, If you dont have the CV Capacity you cant ride at higher watts. So, if your CV Capacity is higher you will be able to ride higher watts. So train your heart and your watts will also be able to increase.