Dome to Dome yesterday - UCI rules

Contaminated Haggis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so do we agree that only the elite and u23 men were in a uci race? (sorry' date=' i did not read the whole thread)[/quote']

?

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I beleive only the elite men (pro teams such as MTN and Neotel) were in a uci race.? The u23 men started and rode with the Juniors.? Which may be the reason why the Junior start time was 3 minutes earlier than it was supposed to be (I think moving start times forward without notifying participants before hand is unacceptable on the organisers side).

only the registered continental teams I.E Neotel MTN Konica House of paints and the Uci Academy were racing in the Uci bunch the rest of the elites started there because they were not aware of what was going on only to be told 40 minutes into the race that they had 10 minutes to get back to the start or they were DQ

that is actually really bad organisation if you ask me

....saw Nick Bester overtaking a little kid like that in the highland gate MTB last year' date=' he was encouraging the little okie through a technical section even though the kid was holding us up and we were racing flat out. That to me is the sign of a champ..
[/quote']

Sorry small HI-JACK -

Is this Nick Bester Senior we are talking about (he of Comrades fame?)

I am just asking because I trained with both Nick and Bruce in my running years and know both of them well.

I say "trained" because when it was time to race.................lets just say I was always just very average.

Anyway, believe me, they are both absolute Gentleman, I have nothing but respect for them, Nick held down a full time job, trained for Comrades,  looked after a young family and never once let himself get discouraged, I can remember meeting him at 4.30am outside Emmerentia dam for a two hour run and he had already done an hour canoe training around the lake - in the middle of winter.!  

I can tell you a lot about both the men, these are legends who played sport because they loved it, not for financial gain (lets not forget first prize in the Comrades was R10.000.00 (a miserable 10 grand) back then) who ran for the joy of it, who always had a good word for the not so talented (like me Big%20smile) who took young disadvantaged athletes and taught them everything, long before it was a BEE thing - for them it was "just the right thing to do" and they did it with joy and love.

These guys are not only legends and champions, they are humans as well.

HI-JACK OVER.   

so do we agree that only the elite and u23 men were in a uci race? (sorry' date=' i did not read the whole thread)[/quote']

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I beleive only the elite men (pro teams such as MTN and Neotel) were in a uci race.  The u23 men started and rode with the Juniors.  Which may be the reason why the Junior start time was 3 minutes earlier than it was supposed to be (I think moving start times forward without notifying participants before hand is unacceptable on the organisers side).

only the registered continental teams I.E Neotel MTN Konica House of paints and the Uci Academy were racing in the Uci bunch the rest of the elites started there because they were not aware of what was going on only to be told 40 minutes into the race that they had 10 minutes to get back to the start or they were DQ

that is actually really bad organisation if you ask me

I'm not sure what you are talking about that the elites that rode with the juniors were told to go back to the start, I heard no such orders being given by race officials.  The elites also continued to race with us to the very end.  Unless if you mean that some elites started in the UCI group and were told to go back?...In which case that is seriously uncool.

I agree that the organisation wasn't up to scratch and all participants should've been made aware of which category and correct start time they were to race in at number collection.  No wonder so many people are getting the rats with the officials, I lost respect for them 2 years ago at my first provincials race and have only had this feeling confirmed nearly every race with some incident or another.