Help Mountain bike cleats on road bike

virunga

I have mountain bike Cleats on my road bike. Do you think that this would affect my race times or not. I am looking for advice as to weather I should buy road cleats and shoes?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I ride with MTB cleats on my road bikes. The image police will tell you its not on, but its more practical for me. As for faster times can't comment there.

The style police will tell you that this is a major no-no. You are either a roadie or a dirty, muddy, @#$%$#@. But there is hope for you. Egg beaters are fashionable on both. (Especially if they are Candy wrapped.) Alternatively you are a triathlete or duathlete who choses to facilitate transition times. (Triathlete come from a different planet and it is wise not to piss them off to much). Yes, mtb cleat are not optimal on road bikes or Lance would have used them. More effective are time, look,and other specific pedals.

If you are buying new, carbon soles are now musts.

Only time I use mtb cleats (and mtb shoes) on a road bike is when I ride tandem, and then it's so I have a firm footing should I need to suddenly support the weight of two peopleConfused. Leok Keo's aren't expensive and quite nice Thumbs%20Up

I recently switched my MTB pedals onto my roadbike, so that I could walk around in my MTB shoes when acting as start marshal...turns out that the average MTB pedals are a little shorter in the axle than road pedals, with the result that after the ride I was stiff in places where I did not know I had places....but otherwise, if thats what you want to do, then why not.  Ask Marius, he raced with MTB pedals...

The only thing that road cleats and pedals do better than MTB's is they typically offer a bigger platform so toy can technically apply more presure and the chance of getting hot spots is less. however if as alrready mentioned you go with carbon soles there should technically be no difference.

also remember that the entry level to mid level road pedal is typically a lot lighter than the MTB version.