le marmotte 7 July 2007

VO2max

Anybody from SA doing the "?le Marmotte? that covers a route over three mountain passes and 174km in a single day in France. This race is surely the ultimate climbing challenge and one of the oldest and most difficult races around.

It is from Bourg d'oisans and end on top of Alpe d'huez. Climbs included is Col de Croix, Col de Telegraph, Col de Calibier and down col de lauteret.

Total climbing of 5000 meters.

La Marmotte is perhaps the most prestigious Cyclingrace for amateurs. It's held every year on the first Saturday of July with start in Bourg d'Oisans and finish on top of L'Alpe d'Huez. The race is 175 K's long and to complete the race you have to overcome 4 Alpine mountain passes. You're not alone in this event. Some 5000 cyclists accompany you...

Favourite spots:   
Plan Lachat - big turn 8 K's before the summit of the Galibier. The summit of the Galibier. 

What's really great:
This race is specially good when you are performing well. If your legs are gone then to whole thing becomes a nightmare...

Finish up Alp d Huez... Hmmm... Big%20smile

Yes i am.....well so far and then stay on for the rest of the tdf 2007. it will either be this or the race you do 2 days before the actual stage of the tdf.  you ride the whole stage 2 days before the pro's come through that area.

+_ 7000 to 8000 riders / mass start?............Disapprove

Just google... "Le Marmotte cycle race" and then it'll give a list of travel agencies and the costs etc... I think you can do the race Saturday and then the Sunday you do a 13km TT up Alp d Huez if you want... lotsa fun

Cost is about 500 pound if you go through a touring company. That is normally for pickup at either Lyon Airport or Geneva and include 4 days all inclusive package and include the entry fee as well as the drop off again at Lyon or geneva airport.

...and then naturally the cost of your flight tickets to get to Lyon or Geneva.

You can also do it yourself and that will work out a little bit cheaper. Last I checked entry fee was something like 40 Pound but I can be wrong.

Like Jason said, just google "le marmottte cycle race" and you will get all the details.

There are other hubbers that have done it already and according to them it was an awesome experience.