Red nipples

quickdraw

Hi

I am looking for a good reason to change the spoke nipples on my wheelset to red ones. I currently have aluminium nipples.

Is there any technical reason to do so (change nipples) after a while, other than looks (the real reason). Should one be having the wheels rebuilt after a while to counter fatigue on the nipples (the ones on the wheels man Wink).

What would a venture like this cost. Running stans yellow strips as well?

Aluminium nipples corrode and eventually freeze onto the spokes. Replacing them often will prevent this.

However, they can also gall (dfifferent type of freeze) during the actual build, but that's the wheelbuilder's problem. Just make sure you import a few extra red ones.

Nipples experience no forces that cause fatigue and changing them to prevent metal fatigue would be bulshytting yourself. Stick to reasons of beauty, it is not ignoble to do so.

Different wheelbuilders charge as they see fit. It is not a 20-minute job and anyone charging R100 or R200 for the job is cheating himself and problably you too.

www.yellowsaddle.co.za will give you some guidelines.

Johan Bornman2008-09-29 03:10:15

Hi Johan

Thanks for the info. Will check into things before going ahead with it.

Will contact you when I replace them.