Spruit Bike-jack!

Roons

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a matter of interest' date=' what low jack services are reasonably priced for bicycles? [/quote']

please type SLLLOOOWWWLYYY, I dont understand you.Confused

All I'm saying is that the bike-jacking incidents along the spruit have been here for a long time ..... at least 2003 that I know of.

I once came upon an elderly couple who had been mugged near Parkhurst while walking their dog which had been kicked and could hardly breathe.  That was June or July 2003 very soon after I started riding.

I was also warned by Fritz Pienaar staff not to ride the spruit on my own. I never had a problem but now I've moved I haven't been there since 2004. 

I do have great sympathy for victims of crime but why is it only now that there is suddenly an emphasis on safety at the spruit.

So ..... am I sick or just a realist?
idrive2008-10-15 04:30:12

All I'm saying is that the bike-jacking incidents along the spruit have been here for a long time ..... at least 2003 that I know of.

I once came upon an elderly couple who had been mugged near Parkhurst while walking their dog which had been kicked and could hardly breathe.  That was June or July 2003 very soon after I started riding.

I was also warned by Fritz Pienaar staff not to ride the spruit on my own. I never had a problem but now I've moved I haven't been there since 2004. 

I do have great sympathy for victims of crime but why is it only now that there is suddenly an emphasis on safety at the spruit.

just sick. one of the people closely involved in the bike park had a traumatic experience in the last couple of days.  

If I was opening a bike park near Pomona I might be tempted to spread rumours about dangers of riding anywhere near Serengeti.

Perhaps there wasn't a forum like this back then. Perhaps the 'sudden emphasis' comes from improved communication within the cycling community.

idrive, Spruit safety is always an emphasis. It seems that hits happen in waves in certain areas.

I do not think that there is a general tendency to attack Spruit users but what seems to be the case is that there is a group or a couple of groups who strike in the same area in a similar manner.

These guys are too lazy and too stupid to try and randomise their hits.

idrive, the Spruit has been fairly incident free for the last couple of months, but now with the year-end madness starting it seems that the opportunistic inbreds are striking.

You are sick...Dead

There are more people riding MTBs now than ever.  The lines of communcation have opened alot more since 2003. 

The b@stards have realised the value of bikes and clearly have some sort of outlet for them.

BTW, one of the hijackings happened right next to the new bike park.  (Now how would that fit into their scare tactics strategy?)

Your conspiracy theory is uttlerly risible.

Low jack or "vehicle tracking" services for cycling...

Aaaah. No idea mate. There is a post on microdotting bikes somewhere in the last few days.

Oh ...... I get it.

So did someone wake up one day and said "hey lets give cyclists a safe place to ride," or did he say, "hey!, if I develop a safe bike park here I can make huge bucks if people use it rather than the dangerous spruit."

Tow truck drivers have been known to cause accidents, change robot settings etc just to create business. I'm not for a minute suggesting that anything like that is happening, but what if the dangers of riding the spruit were not given so much publicity. Then surely lots of riders would not be tempted to support the bike park.

I respect A McLean for what he's done for the sport, how he runs his business and as a rider, but if safety was the primary concern, lets see how much entry fees are.

If I lived closer I would use it, and yes I will make an effort of sampling it and I also worry about my safety when out riding.

Oh ...... I get it.

So did someone wake up one day and said "hey lets give cyclists a safe place to ride' date='" or did he say, "hey!, if I develop a safe bike park here I can make huge bucks if people use it rather than the dangerous spruit."

Tow truck drivers have been known to cause accidents, change robot settings etc just to create business. I'm not for a minute suggesting that anything like that is happening, but what if the dangers of riding the spruit were not given so much publicity. Then surely lots of riders would not be tempted to support the bike park.

I respect A McLean for what he's done for the sport, how he runs his business and as a rider, but if safety was the primary concern, lets see how much entry fees are.

If I lived closer I would use it, and yes I will make an effort of sampling it and I also worry about my safety when out riding.
[/quote']

You're not? Oh.

Hope they let you in to the bike park... Heard it's gonna be 'roight orv edmeshun reserved'

This is to much of a co-incidence but my team mate at the Brait Grace2Grace was hi-jacked on Thursday in the spruit. Angry

His name is Nigel Borain and his bike that was stolen is or should I say was a KTM Hardtail also had his helmet taken.

Atackers where knife wielding b@st@rds.Angry

Please PM me Nigel's contact details.

Sean I have sent Nigel an e-mail requesting all his contact details and if he wants to get involved. I am sure he wont mind but would rather ask before giving details.